Header Menu

Monday, October 21, 2013

137) Turned at Midnight by C.C. Hunter

The Blurb :

Independent and strong-willed Della Tsang did not believe in ghosts, until she sees her dead cousin in a dark alley. She did not believe in vampires, until she turns into one. Should she follow her vampire cousin’s lead and walk away from everything she knows, or join Shadow Falls, a camp for special teens.

My Thoughts :

I only just read the first book in the Shadow Falls series the other day and was eager to read book two.  However I came across this free Kindle read which is a prequel to the series.  Told from Della's perspective it tells the story of how she became a vampire.  It is a nice piece of the story that the author has shared and it really answers some questions about Della.

A short story isn't easy to write but the author got everything into this one without it feeling too packed.  It was just the right length and kept to telling Della's story and didn't stray into anything else.  Shadow Falls was only mentioned a couple of times the story ends in perfect time for the debut to start.

This was an enjoyable quick read and I liked it a lot.  Especially after already reading Born at Midnight.  However if I had read this one first I am not sure if I would have bothered with the series.  This was a nice look at what the series had to offer paranormal wise but it didn't really capture the rest of the good things waiting inside the pages of Born of Midnight.  Della is a nice character but nothing like Kylie and Shadow Falls is left as a mysterious place but I didn't feel it was that important.

All in all a great short story but one I would definitely advise reading after already trying the debut book.




 Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog


1 comment:

Aurian said...

I do enjoy some short stories, and this author is on my wishlist.