Header Menu

Thursday, November 27, 2014

129) The Heist by Janet Evanovich & Lee Goldberg

The Blurb :

FBI Special Agent Kate O’Hare is known for her fierce dedication and discipline on the job, chasing down the world’s most wanted criminals and putting them behind bars. Her boss thinks she is tenacious and ambitious; her friends think she is tough, stubborn, and maybe even a bit obsessed. And while Kate has made quite a name for herself for the past five years, the only name she’s cared about is Nicolas Fox—an international crook she wants in more ways than one.

Audacious, handsome, and dangerously charming, Nicolas Fox is a natural con man, notorious for running elaborate scams on very high-profile people. At first he did it for the money. Now he does it for the thrill. He knows that the FBI has been hot on his trail—particularly Kate O’Hare, who has been watching his every move. For Nick, there’s no greater rush than being pursued by a beautiful woman . . . even one who aims to lock him up. But just when it seems that Nicolas Fox has been captured for good, he pulls off his greatest con of all: he convinces the FBI to offer him a job, working side by side with Special Agent Kate O’Hare.

Problem is, teaming up to stop a corrupt investment banker who’s hiding on a private island in Indonesia is going to test O’Hare’s patience and Fox’s skill. Not to mention the skills of their ragtag team made up of flamboyant actors, wanted wheelmen, and Kate’s dad. High-speed chases, pirates, and Toblerone bars are all in a day’s work . . . if O’Hare and Fox don’t kill each other first.

My Thoughts :

The O'Hare and Fox series has been on my radar for a while and I even read the two novellas that accompany this series.  However I hadn't managed to read any of the full length novels and still decided to request to review the latest release.  I will admit that I thought the new release was the second book in the series and I only needed to catch up on one book....turns out it is the third and now I am having a bit of a O'Hare & Fox marathon!

To start off I have to say I'm glad I decided to visit this series via Audio.  At first I was put off by the male narrator because I am so used to female voices but after a couple of chapters it was obvious that he was the man for the job.  I like his style and he does some great voices for the characters.

The concept it fresh and interesting.  Within a few chapters I was hooked and I was really enjoying the 'cons' and general shenanigans. The characters were very likable and even the ones on the sidelines were worth getting to know.  The plot was maybe a little over the top at times but such an elaborate plan couldn't work without some crazy ideas.  What really impressed me was the background and research the authors obviously did for the book.  They took the time to check out the places they used and there was some interesting stuff in there.  Some of it had me checking Wikipedia for more details.

I would class this one as a mystery but it is also a Thriller and a romance with some humour. However Evanovich fans need to know, this isn't a Morelli vs. Ranger romance.  The flirting is more subtle and not too in your face.  The banter is fun and fits into the story without over powering it.  There are no crazy Stephanie and Lula scenarios but more grown-up and FBI moments.  Actually I don't feel much of Evanovich in the story and it makes me wonder how much each author contributed and how they wrote this together.  How did the process work? In the same room?  Passed the book back and forth?  

After just one book I would, of course, like to see Fox & O'Hare become a couple at some point and it is obvious that eventually things will go that way.  Right now the idea is hanging out in the background with some flirty comments thrown in here and there.  It isn't the main focus and that is fine with me.  Kate isn't the kind of woman who would just give in to Nick straight away.  There will be some time and effort exerted before something really happens.

All in all I really enjoyed this one and I am already listening to book two.  Actually I would like to listen to book three as well but I have a Kindle copy....which will be weird after listening to the first two books.  Anyway, great read, nice story and plot, interesting, thrilling and well worth checking out.   Expect my review of book two within a couple of days!


Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: