Header Menu

Monday, September 14, 2015

91) Lion's Share by Rachel Vincent

The Blurb :

Abby Wade has a dangerous secret.

Two months ago, she disobeyed an order, but instead of kicking her out of the Pride, Jace offered her a job. Since then, she’s been battling a completely inappropriate crush on the young, hot Alpha. But when accepting his job offer seems like the only way to keep her skeletons safely in their closet, Abby doesn’t hesitate.

Jace Hammond has a big problem.

A rogue is slaughtering humans in his territory, and he must eliminate the threat before the entire shifter species is exposed. There could not be a worse time for Abby to accept a job he only offered as a boost to her confidence. Abby is smart, beautiful, and resilient—more than enough to distract any man from the mission. Unfortunately, she may just be the worst enforcer ever to hold the title.

As they hunt the killer, Abby’s secret becomes a threat to Jace’s authority and to her own life. But the real danger is the grip she has on his twice-shy heart.

My Thoughts :

I know I wasn't the only person who was upset when the Shifters series came to an end.  I loved the books so much and although I am not a huge fan of shapeshifters, I am a big cat lover, so the concept was right up my street.  I loved Faythe and all the Pride goings on and story was original and addictive.  It was a sad day when it all came to an end but then a few months ago I heard about Lion's Share.

Rachel Vincent is self-publishing the Wildcats series and I can't thank her enough for this amazing gift.  While the story doesn't revolve around Faythe it does take place in the same community but from a different POV.  Abby and Jace are both well known characters from the Shifters series and it is wonderful to get to know them better and take this journey with them.  Told from both Abby's and Jace's perspective, Lion's Share is the first, in hopefully, a long series that continues the stories of all the Shifters but centers around these two characters.

We get to catch up with Faythe and fans of the Shifters series will enjoy the brief look into her life now.  Three years have passed and things are reasonably quiet except for an incident at Abby's college.  Now this horrible nightmare is coming back to haunt her and all the consequences and side effects are coming to light.  Events are spiraling out of control and Abby is stuck right in the middle of it all.

As the story progresses it is pretty easy for the reader to put things together.  I realised early on what was going on and wasn't surprised when the others managed to put the clues together.  The outcome and ending wasn't what I would have expected but of course there were hints.   I can't wait to see where this will take the series and I am very eager to read more.  I hope it doesn't take long for the next installment to come out.

For people who haven't read the Shifters series, read it first.  There are quite a few references in this book that reflect back to events that happened in that series.  If you don't want to spoil things then you really should go and read the original series first.  It was amazing so you won't be wasting your time.  If you have read the Shifters series then please make sure you read the short story 'Hunt' before reading this Wildcats debut.  Hunt is the prequel to this new spin-off series and fills in a lot of the story in Lion's Share.   You could read this one without the other but it will definitely make more sense if you read the novella first.

A huge thanks to the author for bringing this series to life.  It isn't the Shifters but it is very damn close.  The same feeling is there and the whole concept still holds its originality status. I can't wait for more and it is a new must read for my lists.



Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



1 comment:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

OOoh nice! I still need to read this one and I too was over the moon when I heard about it because I adored the Shifter series! Even if I wanted to strangle Faythe a few times! ;) LOL!

I am pretty sure that I heard that this spinoff series will encompass a lot of other side characters. That Abby and Jace were just the first couple to get a book. I want to say we'll be seeing other characters as main characters in future books. But don't quote me on that! ;)

Great review!