Header Menu

Sunday, December 6, 2015

118) Murder of a Chocolate-Covered Cherry by Denise Swanson

The Blurb :

Skye Denison has never aspired to culinary excellence. In fact, she can't tell the difference between mousse and meringue. So when Grandma Sal's Soup-To-Nuts Cooking Challenge comes to town, competing is the last thing on her mind. But that's before she's bullied into entering by her mother, who has four recipes - one of which she has submitted under Skye's name.

Right from the start, trouble brews among the contestants, among the judges, and even Grandma Sal's own family. But a spiteful saboteur takes things too far when cocky contestant Cherry Alexander is discovered drowned in a chocolate fountain. Still struggling with the basics of cooking, Skye must catch a killer. And when it comes to suspects, there are just too many cooks in the kitchen from whom to choose.

My Thoughts :

The Scumble River Mysteries have me hooked and even though the last installment wasn't my favourite of the series so far, I couldn't resist getting the next part to see what happens next in the life of Skye Denison.  This is the tenth book in the series and gets things back on track after the 'Spa incident' that made me wonder if the series had run its course or if it was just a dud.  After all there are seventeen?  Eighteen? books in the series and I didn't think things would continue that long if the series really went down hill.

Of course the title of the book gives away who the victim will be.  Actually that is something the series seems to do, name the victim in the title.  Sometimes their maybe a few options but this one was a sure bet and it also gave away how the victim was found.  However this doesn't spoil the mystery at all.  The story twists and turns making the mystery complicated but not too hard to follow.  When everything comes to light it makes sense and you realise you always kind of knew who the murderer was but wasn't sure why and how.

Listening to this series has become a bit of an addiction.  After finishing this tenth installment I moved straight on to number eleven.  There is something about this simple cozy mystery series that makes it so compelling.  I have to wonder if I would enjoy the books as much if I was reading them in print and not listening to the audio versions.  The narrator does a great job!

Expect to see me catch up with this series very soon.  I just can't stop myself!  I have enough other audio books I could listen to but for some reason this series is all I can listen to at the moment.







Amberkatze's Book Blog


No comments: