Header Menu

Saturday, January 16, 2016

7) Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

The Blurb :

Harper Connelly has what you might call a strange job: she finds dead people. She can sense the final location of a person who's passed, and share their very last moment. The way Harper sees it, she's providing a service to the dead while bringing some closure to the living - but she's used to most people treating her like a blood-sucking leech. Traveling with her step-brother Tolliver as manager and sometime-bodyguard, she's become an expert at getting in, getting paid, and getting out fast. Because for the living it's always urgent - even if the dead can wait forever.

My Thoughts :

Charlaine Harris is one of my favourite cozy mystery writers.  Her Sookie Stackhouse series was my first find and then I read her Lily Bard series.  Aurora Teagarden was next and ten years ago when the Harper Connelly series started I remember pre-ordering it. I have revisited all of the series over the years via Audio book but the Harper Connelly series was somewhat hard to get hold of.  The first in the series didn't seem to be available for a long time and I didn't want to listen to them out of order.  So when Grave Sight finally popped up I knew it was time to check out the series again.  After all, shock and horror, it has been over ten years since it released!!!!

Harper Connelly was struck by lightening and can now feel the dead.  She feels their remains and can see the cause of death.  With no other skill set available to her she has turned this ability/curse into a paying job.  She finds the graves of lost people who have passed on.  She doesn't find it morbid or cruel because she is bringing closure to all concerned but some people don't see it that way and her career choice can cause some trouble.

Brother Tolliver travels with Harper and is her manager/bodyguard.  Although they are not blood related they have been through more than enough with each other and have a special relationship that even they aren't quite sure about sometimes.  There is a lot of history between the two and throughout the series the other siblings come into play as well.

Now I read this years ago and remembered the general concept and plot. When I started listening to the book I even had some 'Oh yeah' moments as my memory was jogged about certain aspects.  However as things progressed I realised how much I had forgotten.  It made revisiting this book even more fun because, for instance, I couldn't remember how it ended or how they solved the mystery.

This is a great series and I can't wait to read (listen) to the others again.  It is a great way to have some Charlaine Harris time while waiting for the new installment in the Midnight Series and the narrator for Grave Sight was very good.  If you haven't already tried this paranormal cozy then I suggest you do!  Unique, well written and exciting this is on par with all of Charlaine's other series!





Amberkatze's Book Blog


1 comment:

Aurian said...

So good to revisit a series you have almost forgotten!