Header Menu

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

9) A Ghoul's Guide to Love and Murder by Victoria Laurie

The Blurb :

M.J., her boyfriend Heath, best friend Gilley, and the rest of the Ghoul Getters crew are back home in Boston. Their new film’s a monster hit, and a museum is getting in on the action with a special exhibit of supernatural artifacts. Unfortunately, Gilley—whose mind is engaged with wedding plans—donated the dagger which keeps the demon Oruç locked in the lower realm. Before M.J. can recover the bewitched blade, there’s a murder and a heist at the museum, and the dagger is stolen.

Now Oruç, having already killed once, is coming for M.J. and Heath, and the demon is bringing with him some fiendish friends from M.J.’s haunted past. She and the other Ghoul Getters are in for a devil of a time. M.J. may even need to recruit a certain psychic friend from Texas to help stop the paranormal party crashers from turning Gilley’s wedding bells to funeral knells...

My Thoughts :

Let's start this review with the bad news.  This is the last in the series.  When I heard the news I was quite upset at the prospect of the series ending but here is the good news.  The series ends nicely.  The fans will be happy and Victoria Laurie did good by her characters.  So despite the sadness I feel to see this great series come to an end I am happy because the ending is one the fans can accept and maybe even enjoy.

I don't want to give much away about the plot but it is a fast paced and scary one.  There are an insane amount of spooks and there is murder and mayhem all the way.  Everyone gets hurt at some point and there are some twists and turns that make things even harder on the Ghost Hunter team.

Some characters from the earlier books in the series make an appearance and there is even a new one who made me wish there would be more books, just to see more of her.  There is a notable lack of the 'team' outside of M.J, Gil and Heath but I guess they had already done their bit in the previous books and didn't need to come back for the last hurrah!  However there is some Cooper appearances in this one.  Anyone who is a fan of Laurie's Psychic Eye Series will appreciate the crossover.

A great read, as alway, and a well thought out plot.  I did like the ending but would have liked a little epilogue with a little look into the future.  Just to make sure everyone is as happy as I assume they will be.  It is a little hard to let go of these characters but I think this is going to be a series that I revisit sometime in the future.  It was a great one and I hope the author will be brining out something new to replace this series asap!




Amberkatze's Book Blog


2 comments:

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

Yeah when I read my newsletter that this would be the last book, I was near tears! I was ready to join Gilley in his binge eating to help cope!! LOL! I still haven't read it and actually just read the one before this last week! Excited and anxious to read this one as I'm not quite ready to say goodbye! Glad to hear Abby makes an appearance! It's my hope that since the two are friends, that M.J. and crew can make an appearance in another Psychic Eye Mystery! Fingers crossed! Great review!

Anne said...

NO! OMG, what a way to start my day...reading that this is the last book. I have this waiting at the library for me to pick up. This will be bittersweet. Glad the author knew and kind of ties things up. I read one series where it was left on a cliffhanger. The AGONY!!!