Header Menu

Friday, March 4, 2016

20) Thirty-Five and a Half Conspiracies by Denise Grover Swank

The Blurb :

Rose Gardner has survived plenty of close scrapes in the past, but her latest bit of trouble has landed her in the Fenton County holding cell on trumped up charges. The most powerful man in southern Arkansas, J.R. Simmons, is determined to put her behind bars for good and destroy everything she holds dear, including her boyfriend, Mason, and her friend Skeeter, reigning king of the Fenton County crime world. In a stunning betrayal, it seems as if J.R.’s son, Rose’s ex-boyfriend, might have turned tail and joined his father.

But Rose doesn’t have to face this fight alone. Her tight-knit group of friends is dedicated to helping her figure out—and foil—J.R.’s plan for ruining her, Mason, and Skeeter. But even with their support and the use of her special power, Rose is at a disadvantage. J.R. is a criminal mastermind who has been using his money, power, and web of influence to hide his conspiracies for years. How can she hope to find solid evidence implicating someone who’s mastered the art of not getting caught?

Time is running out, and soon Rose realizes that reassuming her role of the Lady in Black might be her only chance at ferreting out the evidence that will save them all. In so doing, she will risk not only her life, but the possibility that her secret identity will be unveiled to all.

My Thoughts :

It has been quiet on here the last couple of weeks but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading.   I started a new job last month and don't have such a long commute so my audiobook time has been cut dramatically and guests over the weekend meant I didn't have time to curl up and read.  However I have been working on this audio book.  The eighth book in the Rose Gardner Mysteries.  It actually released late last year but because I have listened to the whole series so far I really wanted the audio version of this latest installment.  I only came across it the other week and grabbed it and started it asap.

Things have gotten more complicated than I imagined they could get when I started this series.  The amount of trouble Rose has gotten herself into is unbelievable but is an absolute winner of a read.  I can't say I understand how so much could have happened in so little time but this new piece of the puzzle not only cleared up some big problems but it created some more.

The Lady in Black makes some very big decisions in this latest book and there are some good things that come from the choices she makes but there are some bad things too.  While I thought everything was finally coming to an end and everything was about to be cleared up nicely it was obvious that there is more to this story than Rose and the reader thought.  There are still some unanswered questions and I think there are still some twists and shocks to come.

I have to wonder if the author planned all this way back when she started the series.  Sometimes I have the feeling that there is a plan and other times I think it is all just being thrown together on the fly.  Whatever concept or system the writer has is a mute point though because she manages to grab the reader and keep you hooked right until the end.  It doesn't matter if things get over the top and become unrealistic.  I find I don't care that this has all happened within a matter of months and seems crazy.  It is a soap like opera escapism that entertains and keeps you guessing.

The ninth installment could be the last if there isn't much more to clear up but I wonder if it will be.  While I think it is time for Rose's life to quieten down and for the series to come to an end there is a little bit of me that wants this to keep going and going.  I think I like the authors attitude too much, she really doesn't mind kicking her characters and not always making things all perfect in the end.

Well worth checking out.  I can highly recommend the audio versions but I am sure the books are just as much of an entertaining read as well.  This is a series you have to read from the beginning and it is slightly paranormal due to Rose's visions which she really does use more as the series continues.

Looking forward to more!




Amberkatze's Book Blog


No comments: