Header Menu

Sunday, July 3, 2016

51) Firewalker by Allyson James

The Blurb :

Janet Begay's Crossroads Hotel has attracted the supernatural from the day it opened. Witches, Changers, and a mouthy magic mirror have decided to make it their home. But a new, dark power is rising—this time inside Janet herself.

Her boyfriend, Mick, a sexy dragon shape-shifter the Navajo call a Firewalker, knows what terrifying magic is threatening to overwhelm Janet and her Stormwalker powers. He watches over her, ready to fight for her, to do anything to keep her safe.

But then a mysterious corpse is found near the Crossroads Hotel—and Janet becomes Sheriff Nash Jones' main suspect. Trouble is, even she can't be sure she didn't do it. Now Janet and Mick must uncover what really happened, and their investigation leads to the most perilous decision of their lives: Mick must choose between protecting his own people or guarding Janet, the woman he loves, from the many forces amassing against her.

My Thoughts :

I really enjoyed the first book in this series, Stormwalker, and have been looking forward to continuing the series.  This sequel and second in the series has been on my Kindle for a while and it seemed like a good choice.  After all I have so many books on my Kindle and I need to start reading more of them.

Things started off good.  I could remember most of what happened in the first book within a couple of chapters.  The author didn't do a whole 'last time on...' but there was enough in there to remind me of what was what and who was who.  The concept is a good one with a nice interesting twist of dragons and witches amongst other paranormals.  The series unique and compelling but this installment didn't leave me wanting more.

While the beginning had me hooked the middle made me lose interest.  By the last quarter of the book I just wanted things to wrap up quickly and finish.  There wasn't any particular reason for my lack of love for the story.  It just all got a little strange somewhere along the way and the plot wasn't that interesting anymore.  What started off as a good strong story went a little all over the place and felt wrong.

I still see this series as one to keep reading.  I have felt this was about the second installment in a series on many occasions.  Then I have picked up the third part and been so swept away that I couldn't remember why I didn't enjoy the second book.  So the Stormwalker series is going to get another chance from me because it really shows promise.  There are some great ideas mixed up in this one with some great characters and some nice steamy scenes with a smoking hot dragon.





Amberkatze's Book Blog




No comments: