Header Menu

Saturday, July 23, 2016

57) Beauty by Robin McKinley

The Blurb :

When the family business collapses, Beauty and her two sisters are forced to leave the city and begin a new life in the countryside. However, when their father accepts hospitality from the elusive and magical Beast, he is forced to make a terrible promise - to send one daughter to the Beast's castle, with no guarantee that she will be seen again. Beauty accepts the challenge, and there begins an extraordinary story of magic and love that overcomes all boundaries.

My Thoughts :

Robin McKinley has been on my radar for so many years.  I am pretty sure I have a book or two of hers on my shelves somewhere.  Regardless, she has never made it onto my serious to be read pile and it is only because of my book club that she made it there now.

Beauty is a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast fairytale that everyone knows and many love.  Now I am not even a huge fan of film or TV series remakes so this wasn't exactly a thrilling prospect for me.  I can't understand why writers feel the need to rewrite stories that are already wonderful and famous.  However this was the book club pick and I was very curious about the story.

It turned out that Beauty wasn't a bad read.  It was actually a nice easy one that captured the well known story but also added some nice little additions that didn't ruin the fairytale at all.  I was pleasantly surprised at how the book grabbed me and didn't really let me go until the end.  It was well written and I was very invested in the characters and their lives.

Well worth taking a look at if you like the Beauty and the Beast tale.  It isn't horrid and it doesn't ruin a thing.  Still a love story and full of magic and awe, Beauty is beautiful.





Amberkatze's Book Blog




No comments: