Header Menu

Tuesday, July 26, 2016

59) A Midwinter's Tail by Sofie Kelly

The Blurb :

Winter in Mayville Heights is busy and not just because of the holidays. Kathleen is hard at work organizing a benefit to raise money for the library’s popular Reading Buddies program. She has her hands full hosting the event. And when a guest at the gala drops dead, her magical cats, Owen and Hercules, will have their paws full helping her solve a murder.

The victim is the ex of town rascal Burtis Chapman, but she hasn’t lived in the area in years. And though everybody is denying knowledge of why she was back in town, as Kathleen and her detective boyfriend, Marcus, begin nosing around, they discover more people are connected to the deceased than claimed to be. Now Marcus, Kathleen, and her uncanny cats have to unravel this midwinter tale before the case gets cold.

My Thoughts :

A Midwinter's Tail is the sixth book in the Magical Cats Mystery series and was, like the previous installments, a pleasure to read.  Well actually this is a series I am listening to because the narrator really does a great job bringing this series to life with her voice.  I actually am not sure if I would be getting so far into the series this quick if I was reading the books.  The audios are just too addictive.

If you haven't read the series yet then you may find some of this review to be a bit of a spoiler.  However I am sure, like me, you know that all those 'will they or won't they' relationships always end up with them getting together so it is no surprise that Kathleen and Marcus are finally a couple.  It works well even though I am not entirely sure how far their relationship has really taken them.  The author doesn't go into details which is fine because this a cozy mystery and not a romance but I wasn't sure if I could trust their relationship yet.  Will it stick?  Are they really close?

Again the magical cats played a part in the solving of the mystery and one of the felines was lucky he didn't go woof!  Because there was a bit of a fire at the end that trapped our leading lady and one of her kitties.  The plot that got them there was an interesting one and while it wasn't the most exciting it kept me hooked.

I can't wait to read (listen) to the next book in the series.  I am nearly all caught up and have really been enjoying the paranormal kitty twist.  Although I wish there was just a bit more of it.  Also it would be nice to have someone else in on the secret.  Which may come along sooner than later because the author mentioned it a lot this time around.  I think Marcus will be the one to get a shock and I can't wait to see how that all plays out.






Amberkatze's Book Blog




No comments: