Header Menu

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

68) Spells and Scones by Bailey Cates

The Blurb :

When the bookshop next to the Honeybee Bakery hosts a signing for a Savannah radio celebrity's new self-help book, magical baker Katie Lightfoot is happy to provide some delectable desserts. A big crowd has turned out for the event, curious about the book (and maybe to sample some goodies), but the final chapter comes too soon for the author when she is found dead at the event.

The prime suspect is Angie Kissel, a former witch whose familiar was once Katie’s own terrier, Mungo. Katie is at first hesitant to help, afraid of losing the little dog who has become so important to her. But after a little nudge from Mungo himself, Katie decides to try to conjure up the real killer—before Angie gets served...

My Thoughts :

The sixth book in the Magical Bakery series was a pre-order of mine that I nearly forgot about.  Only when I was deciding on which book to read next did I come across this one hidden amongst everything else on my Kindle. Suddenly all my other reading commitments and deadlines went out the window and I had to start the latest installment in this magical cozy mystery series.

I wasn't disappointed, much.  There was a severe lack of magic, in my honest opinion.  I expected much more in the way of spells and general development in the magical aspect of the series.  However this book was more about sleuthing and I felt the paranormal twist wasn't as present as it could or should of been.  My opinion and maybe not one that other readers will agree with but for me it just wasn't enough.

However the plot was good, the mystery interesting and the development of the characters and the on-going storyline was excellent.  There were some nice surprises as well as some interesting twists with the end of the book bringing things to a nice happy conclusion.  Hopefully this wasn't the last book but if it was then I wouldn't be too sad.  Although I do believe that Katie has many a more stories to tell and it would be nice to keep visiting her and everyone else in this lovely magical series.

A must read for any paranormal cozy mystery lovers but definitely something that both paranormal and cozy fans will enjoy and appreciate.  Cute but not too soft. Yummy but not too over the top.  Serious without being too dramatic.  I really love this series and look forward to more reads from this author.





Amberkatze's Book Blog




No comments: