Header Menu

Sunday, January 10, 2010

6) Firespell by Chloe Neill

After her parents drop the bombshell about moving to Munich for a two year sabbatical, Lily Parker's head is filled with a nice list of negative and positive things that could come from their working trip. Then Lily realises her positive and negative list is totally null and void. Her parents came up with, what they think, is the best solution. Boarding school.

So Lily is sent off to the fancy St. Sophie boarding school in Chicago. Filled with rich kids she is relieved when she meets Scout. Scout is weird but wonderful. Mysterious and mad. However she turns out to be a great friend and that is exactly what Lily needs as her first week in the school progresses.

Real life monsters with magic are also living in Chicago and Lily finds herself on their radar. It is too bad that she doesn't have any powers of her own so she can help the the good guys. Then again maybe she does have some and she doesn't know it yet?

This new series from the author of the Chicagoland Vampires novels is yet another series about a teenage girl in a school who finds herself suddenly in the world of the paranormal. There are enough of these books out there lately and while they all have their own unique twist which makes them special and extremely likable, I have to say I wondered if I had already seen it all. I haven't seen it all.

Firespell is the first, in what I hope, will be a long series. If this first book is anything to go by then Chloe Neill has another winning series on her hands. The characters are lovely and the story was fascinating. A fresh idea and nothing that felt remotely like any other series I have read before. I enjoyed every minute.

The only thing that I didn't like was when the book was over. I expected and wanted more but the end came too quickly. There are questions still unanswered and I need to find out what happens next. Unfortunately there was no note in the back of the book about when the next in the series is coming. I only hope it is soon.

If you like any of the other Young Adult series out there like House of the Night or the Vampire Academy then you will love this. If you enjoyed Chloe's other series then you don't want to miss this. Another must read, must buy to add to the ever growing list. The Young Adult Paranormal Genre is blooming nicely and I am a huge fan so far!

1 comment:

ParaJunkee said...

This review just made me want to read this book even more. Very excited. I love Neill's writing from reading the Chicagoland first book. Thanks for the review! ♥ Parajunkee