Header Menu

Friday, February 26, 2010

26) My So-Called Death by Stacey Jay

It is the most fabulous cheer leader pyramid ever and Karen Vera is on the top enjoying the attention. Unfortunately some stupid guy brings her alot of unwanted attention and the pyramid collapses. Before Karen has time to take in what has happened, she is lying on the pavement looking disgustingly dead.

However death is not the end for Karen. She learns that she is a genetically undead zombie. Freakishly alive without a pulse she is sent off to DEAD high, a boarding school for the 'death challenged'. But death isn't the only challenge for Karen in her new school. Her roommate hates her, she has to eat animal brains to stay in shape, nobody thinks she is cool and worst of all someone is attacking students and harvesting their brains!

Although not everything is bad. A new BFF is helping her find out if the gorgeous Gavin is the brain stealer. Cos she doesn't want to be seen dead with him if he is the one sending the students to certain zombie death.

I really enjoyed Stay Jay's previous zombie books about Megan Berry so My So Called Death was a must buy for me. Undead Much? and You Are So Undead to Me had me giggling and eager for more. This new book from the zombie loving author was no different and I am glad I didn't wait around to get my hands on a copy.

This book is aimed at young adults but the title, cover and blurb were just too good to pass up on. Not enough books in the paranormal genre characterise zombies as a good and fun topic so I love what Stacey Jay has done to these paranormal outcasts. Slightly different to the Zombie Settler series this book managed to have all the elements I have come to enjoy from the author but it had a new and fresh feel to it.

If you like reading young adult and like a little laugh but need a little mystery then you can't go wrong with this read. I am really looking forward to seeing what the author comes up with next and I hope she sticks to zombies. Although I would be interested in seeing what this author could do with something more adult I am happy with the YA content too. Give this a try yourself or gift it to a daughter, niece or some other young adult who likes a bit of paranormal. This zombie world deathly dangerous but totally fun.

No comments: