Header Menu

Sunday, May 9, 2010

62) Dark Time by Dakota Banks

Three hundred years ago, Susannah sold her soul to a demon. Now after doing his bidding for all these years, she wants it back. Living as Maliha Crayne, Susannah has made a life for herself. It is a strange life but one that gives her the time and needs to do what she needs to do.

Maliha is haunted by the people she had to kill when she was an assassin for the creature that owns her soul. So when she finds a way to save herself and break the demon hold on her she does everything she can to do so. Saving a life for everyone she has taken is not going to be easy but if she fails the punishment that awaits her is painful and never ending.

I liked the blurb for this book and put it on my wishlist when it came out. A bunch of book vouchers for Christmas had me adding this to my basket and after a few months of sitting around on my shelf this finally made it to the top of my to be read pile. The first few chapters were a prolonged introduction and I started to wonder if the book was ever going to get to the point. When it finally did I found myself getting quite interested. After all the main character and her background certainly grabbed my interest.

However about half way into the book I lost the plot a little. Too many players, various threads of the story and the jumping back and forth between the past and present took its toll. I already decided by the last eighty or so pages that although this book was not bad, that I would not be looking for the next part. The cliffhanger at the end made me think about taking back my thoughts on the next book in the series and adding it to my wish list. But after some consideration I concluded that there are so many other books and series out there that really have my attention and this one just doesn't appeal enough to me.

Not a bad read but not one I am going to praise. I have read better and I have read worse. The only thing that really speaks for this book, for me, is that I did manage to finish it. If, by some chance, the next book in this series did end up in my hands I would maybe try it but I won't be adding it to my wish list any time soon.

No comments: