Header Menu

Friday, February 11, 2011

23) Night School by Mari Mancusi

The Blurb -

After their parents' shocking revelation about their fae heritage and an attack on their lives, the McDonald twins are forced to hide out deep in the Swiss Alps at Riverdale Academy, a secret vampire slayer training facility. And with no way to contact their vampire boyfriends for rescue, they're going to have to play nice with the locals.

But when Sunny starts acting strange, Rayne realizes that there's more to fear at Riverdale than getting staked by the student body-leading to a showdown in Fairyland that may cost the twins their lives.

My Review -

Book #5 in the Blood Coven series and Rayne is telling the story while twin sister Sunny goes along for the ride. Now this series is not your normal YA paranormal series. For starters this is not serious and is it definitely not trying to act all grown up. Things are not all lovey dovey and happy ever after. Oh and nothing is realistic or really makes perfect sense. This is a series that has grown but has now gone a little silly. Now I have to wonder if it will keep going that way or wise up again.

There are constant references to Disney figures, quite a few nods to Buffy and an amazing amount of talk about other paranormal TV and Film in this book which is actually quite cool in a way. However by the end of the book I was beginning to wonder if I had dropped into a Shrek film by mistake. Things were getting a little too fairyland for my liking.

I like the twins and I was content with the actual concept of the whole series until now. The fairy aspect may have just ruined things. Also there were quite a few loose ends and weird story twists this time around. Sometimes it felt as if the story hadn't been well thought out but thrown together in a rush. Oh and I have to ask...where was the step-sister? Didn't they have a step-sister?

While I like this series I am seriously wondering about pre-ordering the next book when it comes out. I would hate to demote this series but I think I am going to just add it to the wishlist and see if it comes my way. If you have been following the series then this is worth reading. Just don't be surprised if you are left a little disappointed and bewildered. After all, we aren't in Kansas anymore...

No comments: