Header Menu

Thursday, May 26, 2011

71) South of Salem by Janni Nell

The Blurb :

My mother thinks my job is crazy. I’ m a paranormal investigator; she’ s Nancy Reagan crossed with Martha Stewart. She’ s always preferred my sister, Lily, who is following in her perfect footsteps.

But this time Mom needs my special skills. She believes my stepfather is possessed. I admit he’ s not his usual dapper, charming self, but sleepwalking doesn’ t sound that weird. Until the sleepwalking spreads through the family and cousin Donna walks right out of her apartment window to her death. Then my sister goes missing and I have to find her and solve the mystery before Lily and her unborn child are harmed.

Normally I would have assistance, but my right hand, a hunky angel I’ ve nicknamed Casper, has business of his own to take care of— business that might take him out of my life forever. The stakes are too high for me to lose, but I’ m not sure I can do it alone…

My Review :

I really enjoyed the first book in the Allegra Fairwater series and I couldn't wait to read this second part, South of Salem. Seeing as the debut in the series shocked me by taking place in Scotland, thousands of miles away from Allegra's home, I was happy to see that this time the Paranormal Investigator was on home turf with her family and friends. The reason for her being home may not have been a good one but it was well worth reading about. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Full of unusual and new paranormal elements this series is a nice fun read with a cool lead character. An interesting family, a witch friend and a guardian angel sound like a lot to take in but as you get to know them, you grow to love them. They all have their place in the big picture of things and I loved meeting them. The plot was unique and it was nice to read something new, fresh and a little different to what I am used to.

Not a lot of romance in this one but huge helpings of the Paranormal. This is Urban Fantasy twisted up in a cozy mystery and it works well. If you like Casey Daniels, Victoria Laurie, Madelyn Alt or Terri Garey books then you will really appreciate Janni Nell's Allegra Fairwater series. I am looking forward to what happens next and what case Allegra has to solve in book three!

It is a shame this book/series is from a publisher who only sells E-books because this series has a lot of potenial and promise. After two books this author is on my must read list and I am extremely glad that I have a Kindle and now have the chance to discover authors like Janni Nell. This little treasure is a must buy for anyone looking for something to put on their e-reader.

*Get the first book in the series for only $0.99 direct from Carina Press*

1 comment:

Aurian said...

Great review Amber, I have put it on my wishlist.