Header Menu

Friday, June 3, 2011

74) Taken by The Others by Jess Haines

The Blurb :

Once, New York P.I. Shiarra Waynest's most pressing problem was keeping her agency afloat. Now she's dealing with two dangerous, seductive vampires who have been enemies for centuries. The only thing Max Carlyle and Alec Royce agree on is that they both want Shia - for very different reasons. Max is determined to destroy Shia for killing his progeny, while Royce's interest is a lot more personal.

That's not sitting well with Shia's werewolf boyfriend, Chaz. As the feud between Max and Royce gets ever more deadly, a powerful vampire-hunting faction is urging Shia to join their side. Shia has always believed vamps were the bad guys, but she's discovering unexpected shades of grey that are about to redefine her friends, her loyalties - and even her desires.

My Thoughts :

Hunted by the Others, the debut from Jess Haines and the first in the H&W Investigations series, really impressed me. So I was really interested to see what the author would deliver in the second part. I had this book on my wishlist a while before actually getting a copy but now, in some ways, I wished I had read this sooner than later.

Taken by the Others has a slightly different feel to it than the first book. Although my memory of everything that happened in the beginning is sketchy, I did start to remember a lot of things as this story progressed. So it was strange that the main character now seems to be working with everything paranormal. Yes she may be doing it to keep herself alive but in this second book Shia makes an awful lot of ties to people I didn't expect her to.

With Shia's partner getting only a small role in this book we get to know more about Royce and Chaz. Vampires and Werewolves never seem to be fans of each other in any paranormal and this is no exception. Who knows what Royce is up to? But it is only natural that in this book Shia's relationship with Chaz takes some hits because of the vampire.

There were a few new characters in this book and I hope we will see more of them in the next book. It will be interesting to see where the author takes things next time around. I can only hope that the author keeps the same amount of action and paranormal levels as in this book because it is perfect. This is turning out to be a great new Urban Fantasy series that is definitely worth trying out!

1 comment:

Aurian said...

Nice review, and I am almost sold on this series. Something still holds me back.