Header Menu

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

102) Sympathy for the Devil by Justin Gustainis

The Blurb :

Senator Howard Stark wants to be President of the United States. So does the demon inside him. With the competing candidates dropping out due to scandal, blackmail, and ‘accidental’ death, Stark looks like a good bet to go all the way to the White House. And if he gets there, Hell on Earth will follow.

Occult investigator Quincey Morris and white witch Libby Chastain are determined to stop this evil conspiracy. But between them and Stark stand the dedicated agents of the US Secret Service – as well as the very forces of Hell itself. Quincey and Libby will risk everything to exorcise the demon possessing Stark. If they fail, ‘Hail to the Chief’ will become a funeral march – for all of us.

My Review :

I have been waiting for Sympathy for the Devil for what seems like ages. Quincey Morris #3 was a long time coming but it was worth the wait and then some. Justin Gustainis has yet to disappoint me and this book not only strengthened my love for his stories and this series but it may just be the best so far. I don't want to ruin the book for you guys so to sum it up I can only say that - It was a delicious supernatural scary roller coaster ride that thrilled and grabbed me right till the end.

At first I have to admit that I found the lack of Libby and Quincey a little disheartening. With only a peek of the fantastic duo here and there I was wondering if this story was going to be up to scratch. However the perspective from the other characters and the story being told all comes together in the end. It made for extremely riveting reading and added a lot of suspense! Libby and Quincey may have been missed a little but it didn't hurt the story at all. If anything it had positive effect and the build-up during the whole tale had me hooked.

Spellbinding and a hell of a journey, Sympathy of the Devil is going to appear on my best of 2011 list. Deep, dark and demonic this is a series I just love more and more with each book. I hope that some of the new characters (the ones who didn't die) will appear in future books. It could become even more interesting with them along for the ride. I look forward to book four and what it brings. I know already that I will love it!

Such a great storyteller with an incomparable style, Justin Gustainis needs more recognition and readers. Make sure you try this series if you haven't already. Don't feel like you need to read them in order though. Except for a little information the books in this series could also be read out of order. However on saying that you may just want to buy all three, lock yourself in a room (not too dark...) and gulp them down in one go. Highly recommending these! Read!


***Look out for the Justin Gustainis interview and contest coming up on Wednesday!!***

2 comments:

Aurian said...

Hi Amber, you have been raving about this author before, but I still have not picked up one of his books. He is on my wishlist though ...

Vickie said...

I loved BLACK MAGIC WOMAN and am now reading EVIL WAYS. It's a fast mover and I cannot wait to read this one now.