Header Menu

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

21) Mercy Thompson : Homecoming by Patricia Briggs

The Blurb :

Mercy Thompson is a walker, a magical being with the power to transform into a coyote. She lives on the fine line dividing the everyday world from a darker dimension, observing the supernatural community while standing apart.

When Mercy travels to the Tri-Cities of Washington for a job interview, she quickly finds herself smack-dab in the middle of a gang war between rival packs of werewolves. And as if fangs and fur weren’t bad enough, Mercy must deal with the scariest creature of all: her mother, who is convinced that Mercy is making a mess of her life and determined to set her daughter on the right course.

My Thoughts :

The Mercy Thompson series is one of my favourites. So when I saw this Graphic Novel I decided to add it to my wishlist and give it a try. At some point I got a copy from someone and this has been sitting on my shelf waiting for me to pick it up. This weekend I took part in a Read-a-thon and needed some easier, shorter books to read inbetween the longer books and this made it on to the pile.

The story itself is new. It is thr pre-quel to the series and shows us how Mercy came to working in the garage and meeting the main characters we have come to know and love. As stories go it was interesting but as plots go it was lacking a certain something. Maybe as a full length story it would have come across better but with the drawings backing up the story the word count adds up to a short story or novella.

The graphics were not bad but I felt they could have been a little better. Everything came across as too dark and gloomy although maybe it is supposed to look that way in Mercy's life. Also I didn't really like the look the artist gave Mercy in any close-up. She looked nice in majority of the drawings but any face pictures were cringe worthy.

As Graphic novels go this wasn't a waste of time. It was a nice treat and a fascinating insignt to a side of Mercy I hadn't seen or read about before. Definitely a must buy for any fans of the series and I will be checkng to see if any more Graphic Novels are avaliable for the series.

1 comment:

Aurian said...

You prove to me once again I would not enjoy a graphic novel of one of my favourite series. Of course, I would love to read the story itself as it is a prequel, but I just don't like the pictures. Always different from the stuff in my head.