Header Menu

Saturday, February 25, 2012

33) Shakespeare's Landlord by Charlaine Harris

The Blurb :

Disguising herself with short hair and baggy clothes, Lily Bard has started over in the sleepy town of Shakespeare, Arkansas, where - working as a cleaning lady - she can sweep away the secrets of her dark and violent past...

When Lily discovers the dead body of her nosy landlord, her plan to live a quiet, unobserved life starts to crumble. Lily doesn't care who did it. But as the unwanted attentions of the police chief and a suspicious community fall on her, she soon realizes if she doesn't unmask the murderer, her life might do more than crumble... it might end.

My Thoughts :

If you are thinking, 'Huh? She has never read the Lily Bard series', then you are wrong. Any lover of Charlaine Harris' work has made sure they have checked out her other books while waiting for the next Sookie Stackhouse installment and I am no exception. I actually own all the Lily Bard books and read them quite some time ago but I have been eager to revisit them and decided to do so via Audio book.

While I remember the general gist of the story, plot and characters this book still managed to surprise me. Maybe it has been longer than I thought since I read them because I had forgotten how addictive and interesting this series is. I couldn't stop myself from listening to the whole audio book within days of starting it.

Lily is a character you will either love or hate. There is a lot about the woman that makes you sympathise and like her but then there are moments that make you wonder why she acts the way she does. Despite this little roller coaster ride the writer makes sure to back up all of Lily's thoughts and actions with good explanations. This will either make you like her more or hate just a little bit more. Either way it doesn't matter because Lily and Shakespeare are worth reading about.

I can't wait to get back to Shakespeare and enjoy the rest of the series all over again. I have already downloaded book two and I am sure I will start it the next time my iPod comes into use. This is a great cozy series and a must read for any Harris fans. It may not be paranormal but it is just as good and Lily even makes an appearance in the Sookie books.

No comments: