Header Menu

Saturday, February 25, 2012

34) By a Thread by Jennifer Estep

The Blurb :

Then again, how often does an assassin live long enough to enjoy her retirement? In this line of work, you either get lucky or you get dead. And since I destroyed my nemesis Mab Monroe a few weeks ago, all of Ashland’s lowlifes are gunning to make a name for themselves by taking out the lethal Spider—me, Gin Blanco. So I’m leaving behind my beloved barbecue joint and heading south with my baby sister, Bria, to cool my heels in a swanky beach town. Call it a weekend of fun in the sun.

But when a powerful vampire with deadly elemental magic threatens an old friend of Bria’s, it looks like I’ll have to dig my silverstone knives out of my suitcase after all. Complicating matters further is the reappearance of Detective Donovan Caine, my old lover. But Donovan is the least of my problems. Because this time, the danger is hot on my trail, and not even my elemental Ice and Stone magic may be enough to save me from getting buried in the sand—permanently.

My Review :

There are quite a few series that are a must buy and read for me but the Elemental Assassin series has to be one of my top three all time favourites. By a Thread was ready to be boring after the end of Mab in the previous book. How could the author keep things that good without the evil arch enemy who kept us coming back for more? Well she manages it and she does it extremely well. By a Thread rocked.

Gin isn't exactly the holiday type but a vacation is needed and has been well earned. It is nice to get away from Ashland and the location helps us get to know Gin's sister a little better as well as throwing in a blast from the past. There isn't much relaxing before things turn nasty and the action begins. Maybe this isn't what an assassin holiday would really be like but Gin is definitely not one to ignore a bad guy. I enjoyed the story immensely and found it hard to put down and before I knew it I had finished the whole book.

If you haven't already read any of the Elemental Assassin series I can only highly recommend reading it. Actually anyone who loves Paranormal Urban Fantasy must read this book. You have all sorts of cool supernaturals with fascinating powers. The whole series concept is unique and unbelievably marvelous. The characters are like friends and I have become quite attached to them.

What the author does next to the series is going to be a surprise but if it is anything like the deliciousness that By a Thread was then bring it on! Oh I do love this series! I can't express how much I simply adore reading about Gin! This is a series I can not do without and it is just amazing and keeps getting better and better with each book. All hail Jennifer Estep!

No comments: