Header Menu

Sunday, December 23, 2012

166) The Weird Girls by Cecy Robson

The Blurb :

Celia Wird and her three sisters are just like other 20-something girls—with one tiny exception: they're products of a backfired curse that has given each of them unique powers that make them, well, a little weird…

The Wird sisters are different from every race on earth—human and supernatural. When human society is no longer an option for them, they move in among the resident vampires, werebeasts, and witches of the Lake Tahoe region. Could this be the true home they’ve longed for? Um, not quite. After the sisters accidentally strip a witch of her powers in a bar brawl, they soon realize the mistake will cost them. Because to take on a witch means to take on her coven. And losing the battle isn’t an option.

My Thoughts :

It seems it is all the rage to bring out a prequel novella these days. The short story is a nice introduction to a series and could leave the reader dying for more. However it can also have the opposite effect.

The Weird Girls series has been on my radar and I have to admit it sounds good. So the change to take a look at the series before it comes out wasn't something I was going to pass over. The novella is short and cheap. Something to fill a short gap when you don't have time to read a full length novel.

Did I like it? Unfortunately not much. While the concept and plot were seemingly well thought out I quickly lost focus on which sister was which. Despite the story being told from one perspective the sisters obviously come together as a package. A package that I couldn't get my head around in such a short space of time.

The paranormal aspects came across as interesting but once again I found it was over too fast. I didn't really have a chance to understand what the Weird Girls all had for gifts, powers or abilities. If anything I found this novella to be a pretty bad introduction to what actually could be a terrific series.

So this short story hasn't wet my appetite for the full length debut but instead has me staying clear. This isn't to say that I won't be seeing what Cecy Robson has to offer but I will be waiting to find out. The novella has left me disappointed and maybe this was one of those times where I should have stayed away from the chance to inspect a new series beforehand.

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


1 comment:

Aurian said...

I've had my eyes on this as well, sorry it is disappointing.