Header Menu

Thursday, June 19, 2014

65) Mad About the Boy by Helen Fielding

The Blurb :

What do you do when your girlfriend’s sixtieth birthday party is the same day as your boyfriend’s thirtieth?

Is it better to die of Botox or die of loneliness because you’re so wrinkly?

Is it wrong to lie about your age when online dating?

Is it morally wrong to have a blow-dry when one of your children has head lice?

Is it normal to be too vain to put on your reading glasses when checking your toy boy for head lice?

Does the Dalai Lama actually tweet or is it his assistant?

Is it normal to get fewer followers the more you tweet?

Is technology now the fifth element? Or is that wood?

If you put lip plumper on your hands do you get plump hands?

Is sleeping with someone after two dates and six weeks of texting the same as getting married after two meetings and six months of letter writing in Jane Austen’s day?

Pondering these and other modern dilemmas, Bridget Jones stumbles through the challenges of loss, single motherhood, tweeting, texting, technology, and rediscovering her sexuality in—Warning! Bad, outdated phrase approaching!—middle age.

My Thoughts :

Years ago, when I first started really got into reading, I read the two funny, realistic and great books about Bridget Jones. I laughed and cried as I watched the films and was happy to see Bridget get her happy end. So when I heard that a new book was coming out I was extremely intrigued. What had Bridget done with her life since her thirties. Did everything work out the way she hoped and dreamed? The answer is no with a twist of yes. From the blurb it was obvious that two things had happened. 1. Bridget and Mr Darcy are no longer together and 2. They had children.

The how and why is something I will keep to myself because anyone wanting to read this book and find out what happened to Bridget's life shouldn't have things spoiled by me. What I can tell you is that Bridget is a mess and hasn't changed much. She is still trying to be a lot of things she is never going to be and is constantly jumping to conclusions about everything without waiting to find out all the details. She is neurotic and alone despite having lots of friends and family. Actually she has a lot of things that would make many other people extremely happy but she still isn't stable or content.

Bridget's strange ways maybe attributed to her lack of Darcy but while listening to the story there were moments when I wanted her to stop being so melodramatic. If I was a part of Bridget's life I think I would have given her a slap across the face or a good shake. She has my sympathy for the situation she has been left in but the way she acts is quite infuriating. I am sure that life with two children is stressful but even having a nanny doesn't help Bridget keep on top of things or look after her children responsibly. Yes it is all part of the story and the way Bridget is but at the end of the book it was becoming ridiculous.

I didn't hate the story though. There were still a lot of good times, bad times and various events that made me smile, laugh or bring a tear to my eye. The lice episode had me scratching my hair and the way things ended made me smile. The friends were funny and the messes Bridget gets into are laughable. I loved the fact that a part of this story takes part in London when I was there and also experienced the extreme hot weather. The diary of weight watching, twitter followers and other various items was silly but the kind of female diary entries you would expect. It all came together to create a good story and one I am happy I listened to because the narrator did a spectacular job.

what else can I say? Don't expect a mature and grown-up Bridget! She is just as naive and in need of attention as she was in the previous two books. The only problem is that twenty years on she should be old enough to know better but she is who she is. I enjoyed the book and am glad I read it as will every reader who enjoyed the first two books. Even if it isn't the kind of book I would usually read nowadays. Mad About the Boy leaves things all nicely tied up and I hope this is the end of the series. I would hate to meet Bridget again when she is a grandmother or on her death bed. I was happy with the ending the first two books brought and now I am happy with this ending. Please leave Bridget in peace but maybe make a movie of this book too? ;)



Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository




Amberkatze's Book Blog







↑ Grab this Headline Animator





No comments: