Header Menu

Saturday, November 1, 2014

118) Inner Demon by Jocelynn Drake

The Blurb :

Gage is a powerful warlock in Low Town, where elves, faeries, trolls, goblins, and vampires walk free among humanity. But there are two dangerous entities murdering families and children, and Gage needs to stop them before anybody else gets hurt.

When Gage discovers a demon locked away it offers him access to dark magic in exchange for its freedom – a dangerous opportunity, but one that could save his loved ones. Gage must choose between what is right and what is easy … except he’s running out of time.

My Thoughts :

I can't believe I am going to post this but WTF?  I am quite confused and disappointed at the ending of the Asylum Tales.  I didn't think that everything would end with a 'happily after ever' but I did expect  things to an end.  The parting epilogue was a 'you will not find out what happens next' slap in face that left me quite shocked.  The author definitely deserves some respect for leaving the series like that but I hope she realised she was in for a lot of ranting.

I enjoyed the first two full length novels in The Asylum Tales and have been eagerly awaiting the release of the final installment.  Split into three parts, each released within a week of each other, it was great not having to wait too long for the next piece in the story!  The first two short stories that help make up the last part were very good as was this third part until the end.

Jocelynn Drake really put a lot of time and effort into the first books in the series and that is one of the reasons that the ending was such a big surprise.  I thought the author would need even more closure than I would but instead the conclusion came across as rushed and uncaring.  On the other hand maybe this wasn't really the last book and there are going to be more after all.  One can only dream but I doubt it.

Leaving a series with a cliffhanger is nasty.  I needed more answers and would have liked to have had an epilogue with a look into the future.  See how everyone is doing.   Tie up those loose ends.  Instead I am left hanging in limbo and upset that I got so excited about the last installment.

The concept of the series was original and it is a shame that it has ended after only three books. This series is so different and it is certainly worth trying but now I have to warn you that you may not like how things end.  The Asylum Tale are very urban, generously filled with fantasy and a good helping of the paranormal, the concept is interesting and compelling.  The characters are nice and extremely likable, I will miss them all.





Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: