Header Menu

Thursday, January 8, 2015

3) Twisted Threads by Lea Wait

The Blurb :


Returning to the quaint coastal town of Harbor Haven, Maine—a place she once called home—Angie Curtis finds her memories aren’t all quite pleasant ones…

After leaving a decade ago, Angie has been called back to Harbor Haven by her grandmother, Charlotte, who raised her following her mother’s disappearance when she was a child. Her mother has been found, and now the question of her whereabouts has sadly become the mystery of her murder.

The bright spot in Angie’s homecoming is reuniting with Charlotte, who has started her own needlepointing business with a group called Mainely Needlepointers. But when a shady business associate of the stitchers dies suddenly under suspicious circumstances, Charlotte and Angie become suspects. As Angie starts to weave together clues, she discovers that this new murder may have ties to her own mother’s cold case…

My Thoughts :

I am a sucker for a good cozy mystery and this debut novel caught my eye and for some reason I decided to give it a go.  Maybe it was the cat on the cover or just the blurb but it seemed like a good bet and I have to say it paid off.

Within a few chapters I was hooked.  Angie was a great character and her history was a great set-up for the series.  Her mother finally being found was the perfect reason to go home to Maine and the story continued from there with no force or unbelievable actions and events.  The plot flowed along nicely right till the end and I enjoyed it so much that I read this within a couple of hours.

The needlepoint aspect is a nice theme that isn't too overwhelming.  There are quotes or phrases from needlepoint history at the beginning of each chapter but to be honest I skipped over them after the first couple of chapters.  They didn't add anything to the story and I didn't find them that interesting.

I liked the characters and enjoyed the fact that Angie was in her late twenties and actually acted it.  I have to say I found it refreshing to have a leading lady who wasn't trying to be something she wasn't and also didn't swoon over any guys.  I don't mind if a character gets involved but all too often it seems to take over the ongoing story in a lot of books.

Location, location, location!  This new series really has a great one.  The author had me wishing I could hop on a plane and go to Maine.  I liked the way she described the places but didn't go over the top.  There was enough to make me love it but not too much to make me wonder if this was a travel book.  The author really did a great job of making things nice and welcoming.

All in all I loved this book and I hope this debut isn't just a one off.  I will definitely be visiting this series again when a new installment comes out.  It was a pleasure reading this one and I hope many of you will give it a chance because it was worth curling up with this cold winter day.





Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: