Header Menu

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

51) Mortar and Murder by Jennie Bentley

The Blurb :

Avery Baker was once a New York textile designer, but inheriting her aunt's old Maine cottage has led her down a new career path-home renovation. Finding a property's hidden potential has rewards and challenges-especially when a mystery surfaces from behind the walls of a centuries-old house on an island that has more than its share of deadly secrets.

My Thoughts :

A good cozy mystery theme is one that makes me take a break from reading to actually google the content because it sounds so interesting.  It may sound cool or it may just be something I have never heard of before but usually it is because the author manages to get me curious and fascinated by the content.  Jennie Bentley has me turning to google.  Looking at pictures and reading up on history.  This series is just so impressive as far as depth and knowledge is concerned.

I have never been one for renovation and I have never been to Maine but this series is really giving me a taste for the history of both.  This fourth installment in the series tells stories of smugglers and the revolution.  There are hidden rooms and secluded islands.  There are also Russian immigrants and some other mysterious goings on but how the author brings them together and makes them so interesting is just pure writing genius.

To say I am enjoying this series would be an understatement.  There isn't one big thing that stands out above other cozies but just a great combination of characters, location, writing style and well researched content.   The story flows, is interesting and keeps you guessing.  I love the setting and would pack my bags straight away and travel off to see Maine if I had the money.  I would also be happy to go buy myself one of those amazing houses and try and renovate it.  The author doesn't make it sound easy but she definitely makes it sound rewarding.

Avery and Derek are great leading characters and I enjoy seeing their relationship grow.  Avery getting involved in the strange and mysterious murders always makes for great reading and I am just as clueless as she is and love unraveling it all with her.  This series is well worth checking out and I am pretty sure I will be reading the fifth installment very soon.  I can't wait to go back to Maine and see what delights await me on my next trip.  Even if the place seems to be getting a lot of murders lately I would still love to go there.




Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: