Header Menu

Friday, February 19, 2016

18) Glazed Murder by Jessica Beck

The Blurb :

Meet Suzanne Hart, owner and operator of Donut Hearts coffee shop in April Springs, North Carolina. After her divorce from Max, an out-of-work actor she’s dubbed “The Great Impersonator,” Suzanne decided to pursue her one true passion in life: donuts. So she cashed in her settlement and opened up shop in the heart of her beloved hometown.

But when a dead body is dumped on her doorstep like a sack of flour, Suzanne’s cozy little shop becomes an all-out crime scene. Now, everyone in town is dropping by for glazed donuts and gruesome details. The retired sheriff warns her to be careful—and they’re all suspects. Soon Suzanne—who finds snooping as irresistible as donuts—is poking holes in everyone’s alibis…

My Thoughts :

This series has been on m radar for a while now and I finally took the plunge and started listening to the audio book.  I didn't really want to start another new series but I also want to finally get around to a lot of series/books that have been gathering physical and virtual dust on my shelves.  So I count myself lucky for finally getting this one off the lists because I won't be continuing with this series.

To say this was bad would be a lie.  If it had been that bad I wouldn't have listened till the very end, even if the last hour or two were really hard to get motivated about.  The concept wasn't a bad one and the characters weren't that bad for a first in a series.  Obviously the foundation was being set and everyone would have time to grow.  It was even refreshing to not be overwhelmed with too many characters.  However that is about all the niceties I can come up with about this poor excuse for a cozy mystery.

The plots in cozy mysteries are sometimes a little over the top or the connections to the main character can be very thin but Glazed Murder had poorest excuse for investigating a murder. Yes the guy was a customer and was dumped outside the shop but if he was such a 'friend' why didn't Suzanne know more about the guy?  She always made him out to be so amazing but he didn't actually come across as someone she should care about.

As for the mystery and investigation, it was boring.  There was no excitement, no great revelations or twists.  Just a couple of thoughts here and there and poorly put together conclusions.  I spent the first half of the book waiting for things to turn around but things just got worse but I was already in too deep to give up.  I kept going in the hope of being rewarded with a great ending/reveal but that was only mediocre and semi dramatic.

Suzanne was a hard character to like.  Her constant 'I have to be up so early' and lack of sleep was really annoying.  I wanted to scream at her to go to bed and stop moaning and wasting time trying to solve a murder that had nothing to do with her.  Also she supposedly grew up in the town but she constantly came across as someone who had just moved there.  Her Mother was the only person that really made her local for me but the relationship between them was extremely weird and inconsistent.

I could go on and on, I could point out every little thing that annoyed me but it isn't worth my time.  I already wasted hours on this audio book which actually included recipes.  Yes...not a bad idea but after every chapter??? Maybe read them at the end but who wants to listen to a recipe on an audio book??? It was frustrating!

Looking at this series closer I have even found out that there are twenty-three books already.  I wondered if this means the series improves but most of the reviews seem to say otherwise.  Also these twenty-three books were all released within five years.  I would really like to have my favourite authors write faster but if they are faster but write poor stories like this one then I am happy to wait a year.

So no, I won't be continuing this series and if anyone else out there believes I should then I would like to hear the reasons why because Glazed Murder really doesn't impress.







Amberkatze's Book Blog


No comments: