Header Menu

Thursday, May 20, 2010

70) Divine by Blood by P.C. Cast

In Oklahoma and in Paratholon, Rhiannon and Shannon celebrate their birthdays by giving birth to a child. While giving birth Rhiannon recants her allegiance to the evil god Pryderi hoping that her daughter will be free of evil. Her daughter Morrigan is safe and grows up in Oklahoma knowing she is different but unsure what the voices she hears want from her.

As Morrigan comes of age learns of her heritage she is scared. Her grandparents know that one of the voices Morrigan hears could be Pryderi but they are hopeful that it is the goddess Epona. When Morrigan visits the Albaster Caverns she discovers her powers. One thing leads to another and Morrigan finds herself transported to Paratholon. She finally feels at home but will she listen to the right voices and be the Light Bringer she is destined to be? Or will she embrace Darkness?

I only finished Divine by Choice the other day but couldn't wait to read this third book in the Paratholon series. This book was set out slightly different. While I was already used to the switch from Oklahoma and Paratholon from the previous book, this book also switched between characters quite a bit. It wasn't too hard to keep track of but it was a little hard to adjust to at first.

That aside this book was amazing. I really had no idea what to expect from this next installment and I was surprised all the way. I loved visiting the world of Paratholon again and it was interesting to see it from another perspective. It was also intriguing to see where the author took the characters this time. She was quite brutal, killing a few off as the story unfolded. I have to say there were times when I had a tear in my eye but on the other hand there were also parts that made me giggle.

Emotional, magical and fantastic. This series has left a mark and I won't be forgetting it any time soon. Just as Maria. V. Snyders and Jeri Smith-Ready's fantasy worlds kept me hanging on for more, so does P.C. Cast's Paratholon series. I can't wait to read the next book in the series, Elphame's Choice. I am very curious to see what happens.

Well worth reading if you love the House of the Night series but I wouldn't recommend this for Young Adults. Although there isn't too much sex and violence, there is enough to give it 'Not Suitable' mark on the back cover.

I have been reading the new UK version of this series. The covers are beautiful.

Divine by Mistake (published Jan 2010)

Divine by Choice (published Feb 2010)

Divine by Blood (published March 2010)

Elphame’s Choice (published April 2010)

Brighid’s Quest (published May 2010)

All published by MIRA at £6.99 paperback, you can find more information or purchase all the books here at Amazon.co.uk

No comments: