Header Menu

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

29) That Thing in the Zoo by James R. Tuck

The Blurb :

Shredding monsters is his stock and trade. He sniffs them out, tracks them down, and corners them. End of story. But when the tables are turned, expect the unexpected.

Knowing his enemy is a rule Deacon Chalk swears by. But he's never seen anything like whatever is leaving the Atlanta Zoo's most dangerous predators bloodless, skinned, and hanging high in the treetops. And he's only got until sunrise to keep it from turning the entire city into a slaughterhouse.

Now Deacon is in zoo lockdown with a handful of staffers to save. His zookeeper backup has more guts than monster-hunting experience. And the only chance Deacon has to run this thing to holy ground is to unleash his darkest, most uncontrollable instincts.

My Thoughts :

A few weeks ago I read the first book in this new series about Deacon Chalk. Blood and Bullets left me a little confused and I wasn't sure if I completely liked it or not. However this novella has tipped the scales. If the second book in the series is more like this prequel then I am going to love this series.

This short story made for great reading. There wasn't time for all the little things that annoyed me in Blood and Bullets and I found myself thoroughly enjoying this novella. It was to the point and full of action. There were gruesome scenes and a really nice plot. I loved it and only wish the author had done such a good job on his debut book.

So Deacon Chalk is on my must read list. I really need to check out the second book mainly because of this prequel. We have a new guy on the block with a special original series that could be the best new thing.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

I really liked this novella and plan on getting the first full length book in the series because of THAT THING AT THE ZOO. Glad it turned you around.