Header Menu

Thursday, March 8, 2012

39) Shakespeare's Christmas by Charlaine Harris

The Blurb :

Lily Bard heads home for the holidays. Lily heads to her hometown of Bartley for her estranged sister's Christmas Eve wedding. But there is something in the air besides holiday cheer-there's murder. And Lily must work fast to clean up the messy case before her sister promises to love, honor, and obey a killer.

My Thoughts :

Once you start you can't stop! I began listening to the Lily Bard series just to revisit the books that I enjoyed so many years ago. However I just can't stop myself from listening to the rest of the series. Shakespeare's Christmas is book #3 and I enjoyed it every bit as much as the first two books.

There were many things about this story that I vaguely remembered. The whole trip to Lily's hometown and her sisters wedding was something you can't really forget about the plot as it plays a huge part in events that evolve during the book. How Lily, and now also Jack, come together to solve another mystery is very special. While it looks like Lily did most of the work it is nice to see she has someone helping her.

I loved the mystery and I didn't know who it was until Lily herself realised. Yes even though I read this before I was still surprised by the outcome! That is how good Charlaine Harris weaves things. Lots of little clues with some twists and somehow it clicks into place. Usually at the worst moment possible which causes Lily to use her fighting skills but that will never be boring.

I am really enjoying listening to this series again and love the audio versions. The narrator has Lily down perfectly and her voice isn't even slightly annoying. She does some great voices and it isn't hard to keep track of who is who when people are talking. The books weren't long but it is refreshing to be listening to an audio book that doesn't take too long to listen to. Also the story is so well written that I don't need to take breaks to clear my head.

Charlaine Harris fans really need to try this series, paperback or audio. I am going to move on to book four and finally book five. I guess now I have got this far I may as well finish it off and then move on to something else.

2 comments:

Victoria said...

Thanks for the post. This sounds good.
vsloboda(at)gmail(dot)com

Aurian said...

Nice review :) perhaps I will try this series someday, I do love cozies.