Header Menu

Friday, November 2, 2012

148) Great Hexpectations by H.P. Mallory

The Blurb :

Dulcie O’Neil knows she's at fault for failing to arrest a wanted criminal but when her partner gets pinned for the crime, she'll stop at nothing to ensure his innocence.

What Dulcie isn't planning on is a trip to the infamous netherworld where chaos rules.

Between battling the affections of a mysterious vampire, protecting herself from monsters and ensuring the innocence of the one man who would die for her, Dulcie’s trip to the netherworld isn't sunshine and strawberry daiquiris.

My Thoughts :

So I finally got around to listening to the Dulcie O'Neil books and instead of taking a break between then I listened to #1 one, #2 and went straight onto book #3, Great Hexpectations. I don't usually do this but the style, wit and humour the author pours into her books really has me addicted. Despite this third book having some flaws it was still a great story.

So what are the flaws? Well basically the book is all about Dulcie's relationship with Knight. Nothing else really to it. No murders to catch or crazy witches to hunt down. Just Knight I love you and can't live without you. While this is something that needed to happen at some point (like all love interests) I didn't need a whole book based on it. The plot was therefore very weak and practically non-existent.

There was however a few things that made this book and the lack of plot more enjoyable. Mainly the trip to the much talked about Netherworld was a huge surprise and something I hoped would come up sooner rather than later. Dulcie's guide, Bram, as always gave me some laughs and giggles. All these small saviours and interesting twists like Dulcie's wings kept me listening to the story and I was rewarded with a super cliffhanger ending.

Now I saw the ending coming. It was obvious to me who the mystery person was going to be. That he was behind Knight's predicament was a lovely twist and would have me listening to book four right now, if it was available on Audio! Yes book #4 is out already and being a late arrival to this party I am quite upset to see that I have become so invested in the audio versions only to be left stuck at book #3.

Wuthering Heights on my 'to be read' but I am sure I would get to it quicker on Audio. So I will keep hanging out for the audio until I can't resist anymore. I wonder how long I will last?

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

No comments: