Header Menu

Thursday, February 21, 2013

24) Before I Wake by Rachel Vincent

The Blurb :

I died on a Thursday—killed by a monster intent on stealing my soul. The good news? He didn't get it.

The bad news? Turns out not even death will get you out of high school…

Covering up her own murder was one thing, but faking life is much harder than Kaylee Cavanaugh expected. After weeks spent "recovering," she's back in school, fighting to stay visible to the human world, struggling to fit in with her friends and planning time alone with her new reaper boyfriend.

But to earn her keep in the human world, Kaylee must reclaim stolen souls, and when her first assignment brings her face-to-face with an old foe, she knows the game has changed. Her immortal status won't keep her safe. And this time Kaylee isn't just gambling with her own life….

My Thoughts

I pre-ordered Soul Screamers #6 and it arrived on my Kindle back when it released. That was months ago and for some reason the book got lost between other books and also suffered at the move over to my new Kindle. Only a chance thought about the series made me wonder why I hadn't read anything new by the author lately. That led me to realise that I had completely missed out on the new release and was behind in the series. So this book jumped straight to the top of my to be read list this week.

The Soul Screamers series is one I have been following since the beginning. I know it is a Young Adult series but I am sure, like a lot of other Rachel Vincent fans, I don't really care. The author is an amazing writer and there aren't really lots of books out there about banshees! This is a totally unique concept and I have been enjoying it since day one.

However in this sixth book I was a little lost. So much has happened since the series began and I am starting to find it hard to keep everything in order and understand what is going on. Also things are getting very emotional as characters die off and people get hurt physically or mentally. I wonder how teenagers cope with reading about these events, as an adult I find it tough going.

Despite the relationship woes, that practically dominate this book, it is a superb addition to the series. I found it difficult to keep up with how the bad guys were doing what they were doing but it didn't matter much because it was still a cool read. Quite a lot happened in this installment and once again there were some goodbyes. There was however a few new people added to the crew but I wonder how long they will last in what is turning out to be a bloody series.

I am glad to see that things will be coming to a real end in the next book. It appears Soul Screamers #7 is the finale and I wonder who will come out of it alive. Even the main character, the lovely Kaylee, isn't living anymore and the end of this book showed that the author doesn't have any qualms about killing off other important loved characters.

Great series to try if you haven't already. Maybe you want to hold out until the last book comes out and then read them in one gulp. I certainly would if I wasn't already deep in and addicted.

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

1 comment:

Aurian said...

Another series I am determined to read one day. Glad you like it so much.