Header Menu

Friday, February 22, 2013

25) Ink Flamingos by Karen E. Olsen

The Blurb :

Dee Carmichael, lead singer of the pop sensation The Flamingoes, has been one of Brett Kavanaugh's most dedicated customers at her tattoo shop. When Dee is discovered dead surrounded by ink pots and needles, Brett is branded a suspect.

It seems that someone is impersonating Brett. And if she doesn't act fast, the killer is sure to put the dye in dying once again...

My Thoughts :

The Tattoo Shop Mysteries are a cozy series I picked up because of he tattoo aspect. I have a few tattoos myself and it was just nice to know that an author got away from the usual cozy themes and come up with something new and somehow more modern. So I enjoyed the first three books in the series and somehow, with my own imposed cut backs, this fourth book didn't make it to my Kindle until lately. Over a year after it was released.
I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Right from the beginning the characters, the shop and the concept felt comfortable. It didn't feel like I had been away so long but the plus side was that everything felt so fresh even if it wasn't new to me. I got used to the Vegas setting again and the tattoo angle had me wishing for some new ink. Actually it would be cool if there was actually a real 'Painted Lady' I could visit. Despite her tendency to get mixed up in murders I would still love her to tattoo me.

The mystery this time around really played close to home. It mostly revolved around Brett, her shop and her tattoos. I liked the way the author got things personal and it helped Brett come that little bit closer to someone I was hoping she would get to know better. The author really knew where she was going and how to get there. I really enjoyed this fourth installment and liked Brett even more than before.

Unfortunately I have found out that this was the last mystery in this series. I didn't think it would be but I had a feeling that this could have been the end. While there was no definite THE END for me it seems the author felt differently. It is a shame and I can only hope that someone else comes up with another original and unusual cozy theme like this one. Well worth reading. Now you can read them all in one go!

Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

1 comment:

Aurian said...

I have read the first two books in this series, and really enjoyed it. Still waiting to find book 3 somewhere, but I do have book 4 already. I hope she starts writing another series, if this one is finished. Perhaps you can ask in an interview?