Header Menu

Saturday, May 25, 2013

70) The Rising by Kelley Armstrong

The Blurb :

Things are getting desperate for Maya and her friends. Hunted by the powerful St. Clouds and now a rival Cabal as well, they're quickly running out of places to hide. And with the whole world thinking they died in a helicopter crash, it's not like they can just go to the authorities for help.

All they have is the name and number of someone who might be able to give them a few answers. Answers to why they're so valuable, and why their supernatural powers are getting more and more out of control.

But Maya is unprepared for the truths that await her. And now, like it or not, she'll have to face down some demons from her past if she ever hopes to move on with her life. Because Maya can't keep running forever.

My Thoughts :

The Rising is the conclusion to the Darkness Rising Trilogy and sees all the loose ends being tied up.  Actually it sees some loose ends being tied up that I didn't expect.  However I won't do any spoilers and spoil things but will tell you that this series ends up mixing itself up with the Darkest Powers series and also finishes by getting involved more in the Women of the Otherworld.  The cross over into her already well established world is a fun aspect but it isn't by far the most important part of this book.

What is important in this third and final book?  Well things take a slight twist when Maya finds some family.  However things get complicated when she ends up in the hands of the people she is trying desperately to stay away from.  There is some action and interesting twists and turns and while the ending was nice and all wrapped up with a bow on top I found it slightly unimpressive.

I remember being really excited about the first part in this trilogy, The Gathering, and I know I enjoyed the book a lot.  However the second book, The Calling, wasn't so special and this third installment just come across as a poor ending to a spectacular start.  I am not saying this was bad and you shouldn't bother with it.  I just think this one came across as more Young Adult as the previous books and made me realise that the women of the Otherworld are over and this could never be as good.

Kelley Armstrong is one of my all time favourite writers and I will always read her work because I love the stories she tells.  However this trilogy wasn't one of my favourites.  It showed so how great an author Kelley is and how special and original her stories are but for me it just wasn't as good as some of her other work.  However the author remains on my must read and must buy list and I can't wait for her next book to come out later this year.

If you are a fan of the author and have been following this series then you really need to check it out and get closure in regards to Maya story.  If you haven't yet read the Darkest Powers trilogy then you really need to before reading this set of books or at least before reading this final part.  Otherwise you will spoil the ending. However if you haven't yet tried this authors work I recommend starting with Bitten and working your way through that series first before trying this Young Adult set of books.


     Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository

Amberkatze's Book Blog    
↑ Grab this Headline Animator                

No comments: