Header Menu

Friday, May 24, 2013

69) Dead Man's Tale by Jocelynn Drake

The Blurb :

In a world where elves, faeries, trolls, werewolves, and vampires swim free in a sea of humanity, sometimes you need an edge. Looking for a little love? Need some luck? Desperate for revenge? Gage can give you what you need. The most talented tattoo artist in town, he knows the right symbol and the right mix of ingredients and ink to achieve your heart's desire. One tattoo is all it takes. But remember, everything has its price. . . .

Gage learned that lesson long ago, in ways he'd rather not remember. But the cruel and powerful wizards in the dreaded Ivory Towers he escaped aren't about to let him forget. Though Gage has managed to stay out of sight, he can't outrun the past forever.

The wizards know Gage is using forbidden magic, and they intend to punish him for his transgressions. Too bad if innocent humans and monsters-entire cities-get in the way. They will quell a nascent magical uprising and Gage will be the sacrifice they need. First, though, they have to find him .

My Thoughts :

If you asked me what series has really made me go wow lately then my answer would be the Asylum Tales.  I didn't ever expect to have the same amazed feeling as I did when I discovered the Elemental Assassin Series or the Women of the Otherworld but the Asylum Tales are really making me realise that there are still some great and original ideas still out there because Jocelynn Drake has caught one and I am happily going along for the ride.

There are so many great things about this series so far and Dead Man's Tale is only the second book.  Firstly the characters are just so friendly and somehow familiar.  Like people you have known all your life.  There is no need to get to know them because you instictively know and understand them.  Then there is the location.  A tattoo shop may not be everyones cup of tea but this line of work with all the magic involved may not be original but it makes this series special.  Then we come to the Urban Fantasy angle of things.  The elves, trolls, wizards and everything else so fantastically fantasy are all included in this unusual concept just keep me more than satisfied.

Dead Man's Deal sees the continuation of the story and problems of Gage and his partners.  There are some interesting developments in all areas and it was good to see how Gage deals with all the magical crap that gets thrown at him while the plot unfolds.  There are some nice little twists and turns wrapped inside the plot and they make for spectacular reading.  I enjoyed every minute.

Action packed and not to be missed this is a series that is really taking my breath away.   If you are a fan of Jocelynn's then you have to read this series but if you haven't tried her work before then you will grabbing for everythign she has ever written once you get a taste of this series.  I suggest trying one of the novellas if you want to try before you buy.  I know you won't regret it.

The Asylum Tales are Urban Fantasy at its best.  There are not many other authors or series that really make me want to highly recommend their books but this is one I can't wait to suggest to people.  This is a must read series and I can't wait till the next book comes out to see what happens next.  I will be begging the publishers for an advance copy if I don't find one somewhere from my own sources.  This is a series I am going to be raving about for years to come and it has only just started!






     Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


Amberkatze's Book Blog    







No comments: