Header Menu

Saturday, October 26, 2013

141) Circle of Fire by Keri Arthur

The Blurb :

"Sixteen teenagers taken from their homes. Eleven bodies recovered, each completely drained of blood. Some believe vampires are responsible. Jon Barnett knows that what’s happening is far worse. Sent by a group of paranormal investigators known as the Damask Circle, Jon quickly becomes enmeshed in a web of black magic and realizes he needs help. But fate gives him only one choice.

Madeline Smith has retreated to an isolated farmhouse, afraid of the abilities she cannot control—abilities that have killed. But when a “ghost” brings a warning of danger and her nephew goes missing, Maddie not only has to leave her haven, she has to place her trust in a man who is neither ghost nor human. As the noose of sorcery tightens, the search for the teenagers becomes a race against time. But the greatest danger to Maddie and Jon could be the intense feelings they refuse to acknowledge but cannot ignore.

My Thoughts :

It is a read-a-thon weekend for me and I am trying to clear some of the paperbacks of my bookshelf.  So I picked up this one thinking I would read a few chapters and then give up.  Why?  My experiences with Keri Arthur's books pre Riley Jenson haven't been good ones and this is a re-release of a book from 2001.  The blurb sounded good though and I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt and I am glad I did.

With in a few chapters I was hooked.  I loved the main character and was really eager to find out more about her abilities.  The plot surrounding her nephew made things personal and I was desperate to see her come out of things better off than she started.  The addition of Jon to the story made things even better.  His abilities and secrecy combined with the obvious attraction between him and Maddie made for great reading.  I couldn't get enough and speed through the book in record time.

There was so much to love about this book.  There was lots of mystery and some amazing paranormal aspects.  Never a dull moment but still time for some depth and romance.  I liked the style and it may be a little older but this was a great read.  Something I wasn't expecting.  I am kicking myself a little for letting this one gather dust on my shelf for so long.

There is obviously more to learn from this series (or is it a trilogy?) and I wonder if the other books will offer more information about the Circle of Damask.  I have added the second book to my wishlist and look forward to reading it sooner rather than later.  Keri Arthur can spin a good tale and this book shows that.  If you have read any of her work and liked it then I suggest you also try this one.  Definitely a worthwhile PUF read.



 Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog


2 comments:

Aurian said...

I am very happy to read this review. I am not a fan of Keri Arthur, but I did buy the first two books in this series at a booksale a few months ago. Now I am more confident I will like it.

Unknown said...

The Riley Jenson series is a must read. The last book wasn't my favourite but the rest of the series was amazing.