Header Menu

Friday, November 8, 2013

148) Black Heart by Christina Henry

The Blurb :

As a former Agent of Death, Madeline Black is no stranger to witnessing violent ends. But being the one to cause them is an entirely different story…

Despite her having saved Chicago from a vampire invasion, the Agency wants to get Maddy off their payroll—permanently. With the deadly Retrievers hot on her trail, she has no choice but to trust Nathaniel to port her to safety. But even the exotic and dangerous world that she winds up in is not as peaceful as she would have hoped. Caught in a turf war between a group of fae and a disturbingly familiar foe, Maddy soon discovers that the twisted plots of her grandfather, Lucifer, and his brothers extend even into this unknown realm.

Now, with enemies gathering on all sides, Maddy’s fate is looking darker than ever. And to protect her unborn son from her adversaries, she may have to tap into a power she hoped never to access…

My Thoughts :

Confusing and full of surprises this is the fifth part in the Black Wings series.  Oh Wow!  I am not sure what to say about this one.  I have very mixed feelings about the whole story and the book was very busy!  There were parts I didn't like very much and others I tolerated as I could see where the story was going.  However there were also parts I really liked, even loved.

The book starts as it means to go on.  fast-paced and action filled.  They is hardly a moment for Maddy to breathe let alone eat and sleep.  Sometimes this left me feeling just as exhausted as Maddy and it was a little tedious that throughout the book that the reader was reminded constantly at how much Maddy was being punished physically.  Despite that it was nice to be back in Maddy's world even if it is chaotic.  I like the concept and the general storyline and I don't think I could give up now and not find out what all this is leading up to.

However I have to say this book frustrated me.  I wanted things to continue on from the last book but it didn't start off like that.  The first half of the book throws Maddy and the reader into a completely different place and goes off on an arc that made me want to give up on the book altogether.  It was only when it became apparent that this arc was only going to run around and join up with the 'real' plot that I relaxed and enjoyed things.  It was a tricky way of getting Maddy where she was supposed to be and it was this trick that leaves me unsure if I can say I love the book or not.

Black Heart wasn't what I expected but at least by the end I felt progress was made.  It might not be enough for some readers but after the first half of the book showed a distinct advancement I felt a little easier.  I didn't want to see Maddy's 'condition' drawing out for books on end.  However I know there are details in the long running plot that need to be dealt with and can't wait for months or years.  It was nice to see that the author obviously feels the same way.

Now I wonder how things will continue.  How will the author keep this series going and for how long?  I really want to have a conclusion soon.  I am just not sure how long I want this story to be drawn out.  Also I am really interested to see what the author will do with all the paths she has already laid down.  I am sure it will make for great reading but I don't know if Maddy or I can take too much more of the relentless attacks and fighting.

A super Paranormal Urban Fantasy series that really is worth reading.  Not only do you have angels and vampires but there is a gargoyle and some other weird and wonderful creatures.  A brilliant read but make sure you have the time and patience for a complicated but satisfying read.






 Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog


1 comment:

Aurian said...

I do have this series, one of my friends is very enthusiastic about it, but have not started it yet. Glad you love this series as well.