Header Menu

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

17) The Cat, The Mill and the Murder by Leann Sweeney

The Blurb :

When cat lover and quilter Jillian Hart volunteers to help a local animal shelter relocate a colony of feral cats living in an abandoned textile mill, she never expects to find a woman living there, too. Jeannie went missing from Mercy, South Carolina, a decade ago, after her own daughter’s disappearance.

Jeannie refuses to leave the mill or abandon Boots, her cat who died years ago. After all, she and Boots feel the need to protect the premises from "creepers" who come in the night. After Jeannie is hurt in an accident and is taken away, those who've come to town to help repurpose the mill uncover a terrible discovery.. As the wheels start turning in Jillian’s mind, a mysterious new feline friend aids in her quest to unearth a long-kept and dark secret.

My Thoughts :

This is the fifth book in the Cat's in Trouble series and after book four I was expecting another full and action packed book.  However this one was a little more laid back in respect to the previous installment and despite lots of new information last time around, it was all a thing of the past as far as this story was concerned.

What really made me wonder this time around was the addition of a ghostly feline friend.  Hence my addition of Paranormal in the tags below.  There has never been a mention of anything supernatural but this book revolves a lot around Jillian being able to see a cat that only one other person can see.  I can't understand why the author suddenly went in this direction and if she will ever do so again but it was unexpected and made me believe that Jillian would end up collapsing and being diagnosed with some horrible illness.

So while the ghost cat was slightly unnerving it was also a nice twist.  The plot was, as always, interesting and it was fun trying to figure out who could have committed the murders.  I did get a little confused now again regarding the characters who were trying to buy the mill.  I could never remember who was who and in the end I just gave up concentrating on that and just enjoyed the book.

Once again I enjoyed the story, characters and location.  The cats are a lovely added bonus and a wonderful twist in this cozy series.  Once again I missed Clara and Candice.  They were around but not as much as I would have liked.  They appeared now and again and usually, in Candice's case, because of work.

Another great book and I am really looking forward to another installment.  I haven't checked if there is another book available but there was a nice cliffhanger to this one and I am eager to carry on listening!  Although I have lots of other audios that need my attention so I won't be rushing off to use my last Audible credit this time around.  I can be patient and wait!  I hope!!




Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: