Header Menu

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

34) Speaking from Among the Bones by Alan Bradley

The Blurb :

"A churchyard in the March moonlight should be enough to give anyone the ging-gang-goolies, but not this girl." Chemist Flavia de Luce 11 finds masked body of angelic church organist Mr Collicott hidden in the tomb of St Tancred. Magistrate Quentin Ridley-Smith, adult son Jocelyn damaged, tries to stop the opening. Adam Tradescant Sowerby is a helpful flora-archaelogist.

My Thoughts :

I have been spending quite a bit of time with Flavia de Luce of late.  I even find myself talking like her!  She is a very special child who is wise beyond her years and more smart that an university degree holder.  Flavia's love of mysteries and poisons often get her into trouble and this time a Saint is involved.

As always the plot was interesting and well written.  The events that take place in Speaking from Among the Bones see the whole story of the de Luce's and Bishop Lacey progressing along with some nice twists and turns.  There is a very surprising cliffhanger ending that has left me very eager to download the sixth installment straight away.  The series is very addictive and the unusual mixture of young girl, mystery and location actually works wonderfully.

I am not usually a fan of books set in another era but this post World War Two UK is not too overwhelming and a lot of fun to spend time in.  While this series is told from the perspective of an eleven year old girl there is no girly talk and certainly no childlike events (unless Flavia is using her age to her advantage).

This is a series that you have to try and decide.  It has so many different aspects and too many great attributes that it is hard for me to even describe how good it is.  However despite this not looking like it would be my cup of tea, I am now ready to listen to book six!  I am totally and utterly hooked!  Although I have to say the narrator is amazing and I may have not bothered with the series if I was reading it.  Jayne Entwhistle has brought Flavia and the whole series to life like no other could!


Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: