Header Menu

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

123) Veiled Magic by Deborah Blake

The Blurb :

Since Witches came out of the broom-closet in the early 21st century, they have worked alongside humans as police officers, healers, stock traders, and more. But they aren’t the only paranormal entities in our world…

Police officer and Witch Donata Santori spends her days interrogating dead witnesses by summoning their spectral forms. Normally the job is little more than taking statements and filing reports. But when she’s called in on the case of a murdered art restorer, she finds herself suddenly in possession of a mystical portrait that both the human and paranormal communities would kill to get their hands on.

Unable to take on the forces hunting her alone, Donata seeks help from two unlikely and attractive allies: a reluctant shape-changer and a half-dragon art forger. But as the three of them hurry to uncover the truth about the powerful painting, Donata realizes that she’s caught in the middle of not one but two wars—one for possession of the painting’s secrets and one for possession of her heart…

My Thoughts :

While I have heard great things about this author and her Baba Yaga series, I haven't gotten around to checking it out for myself yet.  So when I saw this book up for review I decided to give it a go.  Veiled Magic is a stand alone (or maybe a first in a new series), so it is the perfect book to read just to check out the author and not get too involved.

Within a couple of pages I was hooked.  The paranormal elements at the beginning were exciting enough to get me through the first few chapters but when things opened up even more, I was over the moon.  Finally dragons again!  I missed them sooo much!  Also some different kinds of paranormals and some of the usual.  I was in my happy place.

As the story unfolds there are some small minor annoyances but all in all this had a strong plot and was a great read.  Different, action packed and full of new ideas, this has to be one of my favourite paranormal and urban Fantasy reads of this year.  And to think this is the book that got the author her publisher but sat on the shelf until now.

I really hope that this turns into a series.  I liked Donata and loved the paranormal twists.  There was some well thought out world building and character development and it would be a shame to see this one stay as a stand alone.  Also there were some questions left unanswered and some aspects left open.  I am definitely interested in reading more.

My interest has been piqued and I am definitely going to be trying more books by this author as soon as possible.  I really can't wait to read a Baba Yaga novel and see what delights the author has invented in the series I have heard only good things about.






Amberkatze's Book Blog


2 comments:

Aurian said...

This does sound very good, adding it to my wishlist Amber! I wish you a wonderful bookfilled 2016!

Unknown said...

Hope you enjoy this series! The author is amazing!