Header Menu

Sunday, July 18, 2010

102) Twice Bitten by Chloe Neill

The Blurb -

Shape shifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit, Chicago's newest vampire. Merit is supposed to protect the Alpha, Gabriel Keene-and to spy for the vamps while she's at it. Oh, and luckily Ethan's offering some steamy, one-on-one combat training sessions to help her prepare for the mission.

Unfortunately, someone is gunning for Gabriel, and Merit soon finds herself in the line of fire. She'll need all the help she can get to track down the would-be assassin, but everywhere she turns, there are rising tensions between supernaturals-not least between her and a certain green-eyed, centuries-old master vampire.

What I Thought -

This is the third book in the Chicagoland Vampire series and I was eager to get started on this as soon as Amazon delivered it. However between jet-lag and a heatwave I didn't have much time or energy to read. This turned out to be quite frustrating because this was, like the previous two books, very good. I found myself right at home back in Cadogan House and it was like I never left.

Merit comes across as a little unsure about things but when the push comes to shove she is in the thick of things and holding her own like a pro. I admire her ability to blend in to each situation even though she is very new to the paranormal world she has been thrown into.

The story this time once again revolved more around the shape shifters. Now this plot was action packed and kept me guessing till the end but I wanted more vampire. Now don't get me wrong, I like shape shifters as well but the name of this series lead me to believe that this was a vampire thing and now the shifters seem to be taking all the limelight. Maybe this will change but to be honest it is only a small little observation I made and it is not really a bad thing.

Merit and Ethan's relationship was a big surprise in this book. I won't go into details as not to spoil it for others but be prepared for a bit of a roller coaster ride. I would have liked to see more of the other vampire characters and Cadogan House but it was nice to see Merit out and about.

All in all this is an amazing read and a good third book in the series. Chloe Neill has certainly given the genre something new and fresh to aspire to and I am looking forward to reading more about Merit and the Chicagoland Vampires. They are different, fun and I am sure we still don't know everything about them.

Chloe is my guest this week! Have you already read the blog and entered the contest? You only have till 4pm Sunday!

No comments: