Header Menu

Sunday, March 16, 2014

21) Sleight of Paw by Sofie Kelly

The Blurb :

Small-town librarian Kathleen Paulson never wanted to be the crazy cat lady. But after Owen and Hercules followed her home, she realized her mind wasn't playing tricks on her-her cats have magical abilities.

When the body of elderly do-gooder Agatha Shepherd is found near Kath's favorite local café, she knows Owen's talent for turning invisible and Hercules's ability to walk through walls will give the felines access to clues Kath couldn't get without arousing suspicion. Someone is hiding some dark secrets-and it will take a bit of furtive investigating to catch the cold-hearted killer.

My Thoughts :

About a month ago I got two cats.  So of course I really wanted to read this book about two magical cats.  It is the second book in the series and I couldn't remember much about the story in the first installment but it is a series I had marked to keep reading.

The concept for this cozy is nice and quite simple.  Two cats living with a librarian.  The twist is that one cat can make himself invisible and the other can walk through doors and walls.  Now these abilities and the cats themselves don't really take the main role in this book and it is Kathleen who is doing all the hard work as far as the mystery solving is concerned.  The magical aspect is played down and doesn't happen very often or should I say it doesn't happen as often as I would like it to.

The murder mystery was well written and thought out.  It kept me guessing and I didn't really figure things out until Kathleen did.  However this book had a lot of characters and it was hard to keep track of who was who and what was what.  Sometimes I had trouble remembering why a certain aspect that Kathleen found interesting was clue worthy and how it fit into the big scheme of things.  So it wasn't an easy story to keep on top of.

However I did like this book and the mystery.  It is a nice concept, a good location and some interesting characters.  The mystery surrounding the cats will most likely keep me reading more in the series and of course the relationship between Kathleen and Marcus will also make me come back for more.  Not a bad cozy but I was expecting more magic.



 Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository


Amberkatze's Book Blog




1 comment:

Aurian said...

I have this series on my shelves, and I have read the first book, but was not all that fond of it. So I will probably read the others but for now, they are not calling my name.
The magic aspect did not make sense to me at all, and the main character, I did not relate to her either.