Header Menu

Tuesday, June 24, 2014

67) Undead by Morning by Jim & Joyce Lavene

The Blurb :

When Nashville Police Officer Skye Mertz wakes up in the hospital after a wreck, the prognosis is bad. The doctors don’t expect her to live until morning. Her husband, Jacob, also in the wreck, was dead at the scene. Their five-year-old daughter, Kate, will be alone.
Old magic, in the form of Abraham Lincoln Jones, comes out of the blue, offering another twenty years of life for twenty years of service to him. Skye can’t say no. Kate needs her, and her husband’s death was no accident. If it takes driving Abe’s Taxi for the Dead to protect Kate, and discover the truth, Skye is up for it.

My Thoughts :

Joyce & Jim Lavene are the husband and wife writers of a huge amount of books.  They write together, alone, under different names and mystery is the usual genre with cozies making them well known.  Their Missing Pieces series is a favourite of mine and I also tried the first Renaissance Faire book.  They have a few other series I want to read but as always, too many books not enough time!

The other day I was checking to see if there was a new Missing Pieces installment coming up when I came across this series on Amazon.  The title said it all for me!  Paranormal element and from my favourite cozy mystery team, I hit buy!  Yes the cover was a little off putting but it seems that this series is a self published one but I can tell, just from this prequel novella, that the team may have saved some money on the artwork but they didn't let the content suffer.

This quick read jumped to the top of my to be read pile.  Yes this is a naughty thing to do but the book only took me about half an hour to read so I don't feel too bad about it.  Also it was so good that I definitely don't feel bad about reading before anything else on my shelf.

I won't tell you more about this prequel novella because it would give too much away but I have to say that I am very impressed and extremely happy with what I read.  I don't think I will be able to hold out too long before getting a copy of the first novel length installment.   The writers have come up with something really interesting and unusual and I was hooked straight away.  Great characters, style and concept but with a paranormal twist.

If you have enjoyed any of the work this duo have written before now then you will definitely be interested in this one.  If you aren't a cozy mystery fan but like the paranormal elements then you will also want to try this.  Oh and keep an eye out for another new paranormal series from J & J.  In Winter they start the Retired Witches Mysteries.  I can't wait!





Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog













No comments: