Header Menu

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

75) Mission to Murder by Lynn Cahoon

The Blurb :

In the California coastal town of South Cove, history is one of its many tourist attractions—until it becomes deadly…

Jill Gardner, proprietor of Coffee, Books, and More, has discovered that the old stone wall on her property might be a centuries-old mission worthy of being declared a landmark. But Craig Thomas, the obnoxious owner of South Cove’s most popular tourist spot, The Castle, makes it his business to contest her claim.

When Thomas is found murdered at The Castle shortly after a heated argument with Jill, even her detective boyfriend has to ask her for an alibi. Jill decides she must find the real murderer to clear her name. But when the killer comes for her, she’ll need to jump from historic preservation to self-preservation …

My Thoughts :

When I read the debut book in this series, Guidebook to Murder, I decided I wanted to keep track of the series and try the next installment.  So I was surprised to see it pop up for review.  After all the first installment only came out in April.  Usually you have to wait a year for another release in a series but the publisher/writer is being extremely kind to readers of The Tourist Trap Mysteries.

Now before I continue I have to repeat something I said in my review for Guidebook to Murder because I still don't get it.  Why is this series called 'Tourist Trap Mysteries'?  The series may take place in a seaside town where tourists may spend time but so far the tourists have not be a part of the story.   I wonder why nobody came up with a better name like 'The Coffee, Books & More Mysteries' or 'The South Cove Files' or something that actually has something to do with the plot/story.

Ok.  So my little ramble is over and I will continue this review by saying that the series may have a dumb title but it doesn't stop the contents from shining.  Where I thought the first installment was promising I found this sequel sealed the deal for me.  I will definitely be checking out the rest of the series as it is released.  There is something about Jill that makes me want to keep solving mysteries with her and the town and its various characters are engaging and interesting.  The plot is well thought out and the author has done a great job of keeping it exciting and not going over the top.

Guidebook to Murder had a few kinks but the author makes a great effort to iron them out in Mission to Murder.  There are little twists that are presenting themselves and giving the on-going story depth and something to get invested in.  The style is easy and light to read which is a joy compared to some mysteries that can really give you a headache.  I think the series is still, in some respects, in the development stage but so far there has been a good foundation laid to build on.

What makes me even happier to follow this series is that the third installment with release in Autumn already!  That means as each season comes along there is a new addition.  I don't know if this is going to be the trend for this series but it definitely makes a refreshing change.  I hate long waits between books in a series and so this one gets bonus points for rewarding the reader with something new more often.

Give this a try if you like a nice cozy mystery and take a chance on something that is new, a little different and welcoming.





Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



No comments: