Header Menu

Friday, August 22, 2014

91) Visions by Kelley Armstrong

The Blurb :

Omens, the first installment in Kelley Armstrong’s exciting new series, introduced Olivia Taylor-Jones, daughter of notorious serial killers, and Gabriel Walsh, the self-serving, morally ambiguous lawyer who became her unlikely ally. Together, they chased down a devious killer and partially cleared her parents of their horrifying crimes.

Their success, however, is short-lived. While Olivia takes refuge in the old, secluded town of Cainsville, Gabriel’s past mistakes have come to light, creating a rift between the pair just when she needs his help the most.

Olivia finds a dead woman in her car, dressed to look like her, but the body vanishes before anyone else sees it. Olivia’s convinced it’s another omen, a sign of impending danger. But then she learns that a troubled young woman went missing just days ago—the same woman Olivia found dead in her car. Someone has gone to great lengths to kill and leave this young woman as a warning. But why? And what role has her new home played in this disturbing murder?

Olivia’s effort to uncover the truth places her in the crosshairs of old and powerful forces, forces that have their own agenda, and closely guarded secrets they don’t want revealed.

My Thoughts :

Omens blew my mind last year and it was definitely in the top three of my favourite reads of 2013.  I have been eagerly awaiting the release of the second part, Visions, and even had a sniff of an ARC copy but little old me in Europe couldn't have one!  So I patiently waited and as soon as the pre-order arrived on my Kindle I started reading and had to stop myself from devouring the book in one go.

I could have easily read Visions in one sitting but I wanted to savour it.  I wanted to take it all in and be sure I was following the twists and turns this story is taking.   I took my time with the book so I could understand everything that was going on and to process the events that mean so much to the story of Olivia, Gabriel and Rick.  Sure there are other characters involved but these main three are the ones that you need to pay attention to as events unfold.

The plot this time around was as interesting and exciting as in Omens. The originality and wow factor from that first book continues in Visions and I couldn't believe how good this second installment was.  There are some huge changes in this book and there are also some amazing events. It was hard to stop reading and take a break because the whole concept is so unusual and addictive.

One of the aspects of this series I am really enjoying is the Welsh folklore that is Incorporated into the story.  I am Welsh and love it when my homeland, language and history is weaved into stories and especially when it is done so well.  I am in awe of the research the author has done and her ability to make it all come together so nicely.  I am more than eager to find out how things continue.

While Visions does offer some really important information regarding what has been going on in Cainsville, there are still so many questions that need to be answered and the town definitely has more secrets to tell.  Everything must be connected but is everything really connected?  A good conspiracy theorist would have a field day with the story Kelley Armstrong is weaving in this series and I am sure all her readers have there own ideas about how this will all play out.  I have to say that the story is so compelling that I don't care how it all ends.  All I care about is reading the next installment because this is turning out to be such a terrific read!

Five stars, a must read and another best read as far as this year goes.  If you like Kelley's previous work then you really need to visit Cainsville and if you haven't read her work before but want to give something good a go, well all her work is worth five stars but this series should actually get a bonus star for being even bettert than the rest.  My only moan is the wait till book three arrives!  Another year of waiting lies ahead!  Boohoo!



Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



Amberkatze's Book Blog



3 comments:

Aurian said...

I got stuck in Bitten recently, do you think I should persevere?

Simeon Beresford said...

Kelley not Kelly. you slip up in tags and title,

Unknown said...

@ Simeon - Corrected! Apologies!

@ Aurian - Bitten is hard work at the beginning. I remember loving the book but the first half was hard going. The rest of the series really is amazing and anyone who gets stuck on Bitten really needs to try the second book before giving up on the series.