Header Menu

Friday, May 17, 2013

63) Blood & Magick by James R. Tuck

The Blurb :

Taking out hellish creatures—not a problem. Armed with blessed silver hollow-points and the ability to manipulate magick, he’s ready for anything—except betrayal he never saw coming…

Deacon Chalk knows the biggest danger in fighting monsters is becoming one. Just another day at the office for your friendly neighborhood occult bounty hunter. If keeping three helpless were-dog children safe means battling a malevolent trio of witches by any means necessary, so be it. If that means partnering with a ruthless government agent to stay one step ahead of the allies and friends he must now suspect, he’s not going to cry about it. The only way Deacon can save humans and shape-shifters alike is to embrace a power beyond his imagining, putting his team at stake—and his soul on the line…


My Thoughts :

Before I start my review I have to apologise to the author and publisher of this book.  I got this ARC in the post a long time ago.  I can't even remember when but as a physical book it landed on my bookshelf and it was forgotten about for a very long time.  I can't believe I left this one of my shelf unread for so long but that is what happens when you have a Kindle.  So I am sorry this review is coming way after the book made it into my hands and after the book released.  Note to anyone interested : Send me Kindle books!

I have read the previous Deacon Chalk books and novellas and was interested in seeing how the series would continue to develop.  It didn't take me long to get back into the weird paranormal world the author has dreamt up for this series and within a few chapters I was used to the swearing, blood and general hard-ass angle that shines through in this series.

It sounds very action movie like and it is.   Guns are a common occurence which means fighting also takes up a lot of the pages in this book.  You may think that there couldn't possibily be a story to all this but there actually is and it is a very good one.  Well laid out, the plot, isn't half bad.  In fact if it wasn't for the plot, and the characters involved with it, I most likely wouldn't have ever kept up with this series.  I am actually eager to see what happens to these people and what happens next.  Also the weird and wonderful paranormal world this series offers is just too good to miss.

In regards to this third installment, all I can say is 'WOW'!  There were some things that I didn't see coming and the twists they brought with them surprised me so much that I can't wait for book number four.  I didn't expect so much of the events that took place and that made this book, for me, a very special read.  I get fed up of 'knowing' what is about to happen because things are so predictable but James R. Tuck is keeping me on my toes and I love it!

You may be put off by the whole guns and blood stuff but if you are a true Paranormal Fantasy lover then you will have to give this series a try.  If you have already had the pleasure of meeting Deacon Chalk : Occult  Bounty Hunter, then you will know that he isn't just fighting, he has a heart and he has feelings.  There is a lot more to him than meets the eye and he is the guy you want on your side.


     
    Free Delivery on all Books at the Book Depository



           
 

No comments: